The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Smoke from under the heat shield?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanicTSi

Probationary Member
Aug 31, 2010
Fresno, California
Hey everyone. So I have now had my TSi for about 2 weeks now, and earlier i was checking around under the hood just to make sure everything was still correct. And i noticed that after i drove my car for a little while, and was checking near my Heat shield, there was a little bit (less than a lit cigarette ) of smoke coming from under the heat shield. The previous owner also bolted on an additional piece of sheet metal below the heat shield for whatever reason, so it is hard to see where the smoke is coming from. So my question is, should i be worried about this bit of smoke?

Additional Info: The motor/turbo have around 30k miles on them, so they are fairly new.

Random Info: Pretty damn sure i just found a Manual Boost Controller dangling under the intake haha.

Thank you fellas for the info! I will definitely clean the engine bay (It's surprisingly clean already) as much as possible, and check the cam gear/timing belt make sure everything is up to par. And i will definitely take a look at my manifold/turbo to make sure there are no leaks via gaskets, or cracks in the mani.

Just throwing this out there, this is definitely the most helpful forum I have ever been a part of. And I have been on forums for almost all past cars. However you guys actually answer questions, and give great input on possible problems and maintenance. I definitely appreciate it! :)

Good to know buddy, I'll see you around and keep us posted on the car.

Since it's an MBC, you might need to open it all the way. My ebay MBC will increase boost as I close it, so you might want to remove it unless you know how to reduce boost with it.

my manifold was painted with heat paint if yours is painted it it could be burning off a little ,but still keep eye on it just in case its a oil or coolant.

wll if it is paint and its burning then something else might not quite be right, either the paint coating or something similar because headerpaint shouldn't just burn off... but im more leaning towards it being a cracked mani or small oil leak.

so question. how much boost are u actually running? haha

and yea man i agree with u thisforums pretty good with answers. I feel like i saw 30 people from these forums the other day towin my car home for the first time. got so many complements it was ridiculous LOL

man i wish it was like that up here, i know of only a couple of guys around here, and some of them seem to be kinda anti social

Yeah, It definitely makes sense. I just haven't spotted it yet. But i will definitely get a good look tomorrow :)

And as for me having the gauges, I don't. The first things on my buy list are a REAL Boost gauge, A/F ratio gauge, and possibly Oil Temp. Just so i can have a good view of whats going on with my car.

Any other recommendations?

And once more, I thank you guys for the info. I know replying to some n00b probably isn't the most fun thing to do.

A logger and a wideband are 2 things I highly recommend if you dont already have them. An air fuel gauge is not really good for much. Narrowband signal fluctuates on a 1 volt line where as a wide band is 5 volts.

I'm just running stock boost at the moment, I closed my MBC off. And I haven't met any DSM guys around here yet. And I'll definitely check out loggers and wideband :) Thanks for that info Birdclaw!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back