The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Small 16G turbo coolant feed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0651dns

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 3, 2010
Monticello, Kentucky
So after careful consideration, I have decided to use the coolant lines for my small 16G install. Since my wife (Murphy's law advocate) will be driving the GSX from time to time, I don't want to risk anything. So here is my question. I bought the car with a 18G installed and omitted coolant lines. I found where I think the feed line previously connected to the head. Is this it, and what or how do I go about setting it back up? Thanks.

Disregard the "X"d out circle. It's been a long day.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 293
What you circled is the bolt holding the thermostat on. Match the colors below in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,213
The other bolt you circled is where 1g's take their oil feed from. 2g's use the oil filter housing fitting.

Ok, maybe I missed something. I know that the rear turbo coolant line attaches as shown above. I guess my question now is, where does the front line attach?

Look at the image above. The 2 red circles go together, and the 2 black go together.

That is correct...the front coolant line then attaches to the block just below the water pipe, behind the compressor cover. Since the old 18G did not have water provisions, this was probably capped off via a bolt threaded into the outlet.

I think I found the source but I am not sure. I have attached to pictures indicating what I think it may be. If it is, what do I need to set it back up again? Thank you once again.

Attachments

• IMG_2820.jpg
    IMG_2820.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2821.jpg
    IMG_2821.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 252
No I believe it is a 6 bolt swap with 2G head. Does that make a difference?

Which nipple would that be then? The one in my first set of pictures is already being used by the other turbo coolant line, from what was mentioned earlier.

I am using a 2G thermostat housing, by the way. No clue which variety of water pipe. Not really sure if that matters.

Well, you have a 2G water pipe installed there, so I'm really not sure what you need to do. It's also been about 6 years since I've used coolant lines, so I'm a bit rusty on possible routing solutions.

The circled area in that last pic is just a plugged access hole used to drill an oil passage for the front balance shaft.

Hmmm. This is turning out to be a bit of a bother. So if I decide to omit the coolant lines after all, I can just leave the hard lines attached to the turbo without blocking them off, correct?

I vote to forget the coolant lines. The fact that you have no way to effectively tap into the block would be the deciding factor for me....especially considering your 18G had hardly any play, bearing wear, or oil coking despite having no coolant.

Justin, so all I need to do to omit the lines is to cap off the nipple on the water line shown above, correct? I don't need to do anything to the coolant hard lines on the turbo itself?

Justin, so all I need to do to omit the lines is to cap off the nipple on the water line shown above, correct? I don't need to do anything to the coolant hard lines on the turbo itself?
That's correct. In fact, you can remove those hardlines from the turbo and leave open holes on the CHRA.

That seems to be the best way to go since my water pipe and block don't have the correct outlets for the coolant setup. Thanks so much guys.

I've seen guys who put plugs in the holes on the center housing, but that's completely unnecessary. In fact, I'd rather not put plugs in the holes so air could pass through the coolant chamber.

Old topic I do want to bring it up again really quick to get a confirmation.

Justin semi knows how my car was set up, with some big turbo, I picked up a TD05H.

I can just leave my coolant holes open on the turbo, instead of run them with coolant in it?
I'm wondering cause all my stuff for turbo coolant was already capped off, engine wise.

Also the bolt size for the oil feed for it? My old one doesn't fit in the least.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back