The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Shortblock deck gash

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Somehow i nicked my deck while gapping my rings today, will this cause a sealing issue?

I have a MLS gasket, head and block were machined flat.

You can feel it when you run your finger over it, can barely get a fingernail in it...

See the pic below
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Anywhere else and you’d be ok, but a fault in the surface around the bore is trouble.
Ok, just looked at it again.

1.) It is where the sealing ring sits, right in the middle of it

2.) I cant get my finger nail stuck in it, it really isnt deep at all.

Should i just take it to the machine shop and get there reccomendation or just let them deck it?

If it were anywhere else, you'd be fine. But, it's directly where the fire ring seals, which means your fire ring likely won't seal. And, even if it does that area is gong to be prone to failure, at which point you're pulling the block to go to the machine shop and fix it anyways. At that point though, it's going to be much more of an ass pain.

Like the others said above, it's gotta be fixed. Most machine shops will do a quick deck job for a couple hundred bucks or less. If you just say f*** it and send it now as is, you're probably going to spend that just re-buying gaskets if you have to redo everything later, which is a good possibility.

If it were anywhere else, you'd be fine. But, it's directly where the fire ring seals, which means your fire ring likely won't seal. And, even if it does that area is gong to be prone to failure, at which point you're pulling the block to go to the machine shop and fix it anyways. At that point though, it's going to be much more of an ass pain.

Like the others said above, it's gotta be fixed. Most machine shops will do a quick deck job for a couple hundred bucks or less. If you just say f*** it and send it now as is, you're probably going to spend that just re-buying gaskets if you have to redo everything later, which is a good possibility.
Ahhhhhh!!! Gjfj st yt? Jwkwuegw

Ok, redecking it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back