The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Short Write-Up (Idle Recovery Issue Resolved 1G Auto)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long Duk Dong

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 8, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
Having owned and tuned various cars (8, 9, 10 second cars; etc.) one of the few things I have learned is that if not all is right mechanically changes in the tuning software only mask issues or lead one off in the wrong direction. Being new to the DSM world I am always finding new things to check in my quest for DSM knowledge. My latest adventure was with the B.I.S.S screw. It is the screw on the front of the throttle body facing upward and forward towards the front of the vehicle recessed into a small hole. It is adjusted using a small flat head screwdriver. On most motors that I have built and tuned the idle bypass hasn’t been quite as sensitive to small camshafts as what I have experienced with the 1G DSM.

My daughters car is a 1G automatic and the motor has HKS-264 cams. It had a slight stumble on the idle recovery after a short move (Say, pulling into the driveway or the like.). I read that the stock motors should see a reading of 30 on the Idle Speed Setting. When I checked hers through ECM Link I noticed that it was at 20. After adjusting it in SMALL INCRAMINTS I found that it likes a setting of around 32 with those camshafts. The idle recovery is much better now after tinkering with it for a few minutes and then test driving it. While doing this I made sure the car was up to operating temperature and turned the set screw around 1/16 of a turn at a time and cleared the throttle. I realize that each combination is different but figure this may help someone else as new as I. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back