The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Setting Timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SIC1Gb

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
Ok So my spare motor just got a rebuild and i am installing the new timing belt, As i understand it, i need to set the timing to 5 btdc off the Timing cover?

Also the new engine has a 90 CAS, and my car has a 94 CAS, So i am going to have to swap over the 94, am i wanting to set up the timing light and get it where the timing stays at 5 BTDC?

I understand that but do i need to set my Timing belt to TDC or 5 btdc and adjust the CAS to 5 btdc?

Do it exactly how your repair manual says.... Timing belt lined up with all the marks (motor at TDC), then adjust the CAS to 5 BTDC with the timing light...

Adjust your CAS so the timing mark on the crank pulley lines up with 5* mark on the timing tab on the timing belt cover when u put the light on it.

You're confusing ignition timing and mechanical timing. The belt has nothing to do with the marks on the cover. The timing belt controls mechanical timing of the valves. Procedures for installation have been beaten to death on this forum. CAS controls ignition timing which is when a spark happens relative to crank position.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back