The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

SD or MAF for Setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@TDC

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
Nor-Cal, California
Alright guys. I'm getting ready to decide which direction I need to go with my airflow metering. I am currently on my 1G MAF. My mods list is up to date and I plan on getting 750cc or bigger injectors, Walbro 255, and FPR. I am considering SD because of the consistency and high limits when tuned. Not to mention I can get rid of the MAF restriction and recirculation hose from the BOV. Only downside is the time its going to take to get it dialed in, and the price is slightly higher if I go this route. My power goals are basically around 350 hp. I will be more than happy if my setup cracks over 300 whp. I know a 2g or Evo MAF could suit my needs, but I would like to get rid of the recirc tube and turbo restriction. I hear the GM MAF is not very good, but why not? What would be the best direction to take for my setup? I really appreciate any opinions you guys might have. Thanks a lot! :talon::talon::talon::hellyeah:

Honestly I love my SD setup, I used Jackal and had it dialed in pretty quickly. I know if you use DSMlink its a little bit tougher but still pretty easy to do. I swear up and down by SD, some of the only downsides are your tune can change with the weather, but you can use your AIT table to compensate. It is harder to detect boost leaks, still doable though. You'll have to retune if you upgrade to anything that causes increased airflow values. Upside is vented BOV, No airway restrictions, very accurate, if you blow a pipe off or something the car will still run :).

I'm now SD with Linkv3 and for nothing in the world I will go back to MAF. I did all I could with 2g maf and gm maf but my car never ran great. I've switched to SD and after few minutes my car ran better than when I was running maf. SD all the way!!!

Ditch the gm bs, and go with a map sensor, ait sensor and look into tunerpro rt. Jackal is another option for a quick easy tune. If your ait table is set up right, there's no problem with weather. There's also spread sheets out there that will get you almost perfect with your tune. I run a moates ostrich box to replace the 'chip'. I can tune on the fly and don't have to burn chips if I want to change anything. It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I will never go back to a maft or maf unit again. Sd is just to easy. Oh, and like stated if you do develop a boost leak, you can drive home to fixi it.
Sd and never look back.

I use a 3" gm maf in a blow throw setup with the ecmtuning cable and link for over a year no downsides here at least so far.I can't understand you guys say with SD is much smoother why.
SD reads pressure and intake temperature
GM maf reads airflow just like the stock maf.
So is up to you what suite your needs better.

I use a 3" gm maf in a blow throw setup with the ecmtuning cable and link for over a year no downsides here at least so far.I can't understand you guys say with SD is much smoother why.
SD reads pressure and intake temperature
GM maf reads airflow just like the stock maf.
So is up to you what suite your needs better.

That gm unit has a set iat and doesn't allow for temp rise. That was the drawback for me. In Houston, it will be 45* in the morning, and 85* on the drive home. That fixed temp scale didn't work for me, heck I still have all that stuff on my work bench, along with an AFC thing too.

Switched from stock straight to sd and love it. Its alot better tuning to me. Maf tuning by hertz just isn't as accurate as rpmXload range. Sd is my recommendation.

That gm unit has a set iat and doesn't allow for temp rise. That was the drawback for me. In Houston, it will be 45* in the morning, and 85* on the drive home. That fixed temp scale didn't work for me, heck I still have all that stuff on my work bench, along with an AFC thing too.

I get your point down here we have pretty much the same temps all year long with just a few degrees up or down. I have never used SD so I can't compare that's why I asked.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back