The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

General 2G SD or MAF Setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanro

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2009
Montgomery, Alabama
Is there any reason not to go SD? I am a bit more familiar with SD cars. I had a few Saturns before I got into DSMs and they run off speed density so I am very familiar with it and how it works. I was allways under the impression that SD cars did not respond to mods as well as MAF/MAS cars did because the Mass Airflow would correct you fuel. However with most SD setups the values are set and no mater how many mods you through at the car it will not change unless you use a Piggy Back to trick the ecu, or switch to a full standalone.

With the V3 Link options it seems that there is almost no reason to not convert to SD other than price. If I allready had all the required SD stuff (SD cable, IAT, 4 Bar MAP Sensor) is there any downside to switching?

Well I do, with saturns, totally different than a DSM on link or the free SD software that is available. I have an EPRom ecu so I want to run link. I also have a couple of 3.3 and 3 bar gm MAPS and plenty of IAT sensors.

Not really. Jackal is freeware. Would rather pay for v3. It has people that are paid to work it. It's only like 100 more expensive than the Megasquirt I was running, and from the vids and log files I played with with the free download it seems 100x more user friendly. Plus it has a huge knowledge base.

I really dont want to bother with the ALDL cable and the ostrich thing when V3 link is usb native.

Specifically I want to know if there is any down side to ditching my MAF in the garbage and Running SD with link?

I'm also still debating what I want to do here. I was original planning on using a 3g/evo8/montero mas, but I'm starting to second guess that because of various reasons (better intake design, bigger air filter, cleaner engine bay)

I don't want the "hassle" of learning how to tune SD, I guess that's my biggest beef. I should probably learn though if it's better.

Speed Density all the way!

If you can tune your car with a stock MAF then you can tune with speed density. I'm basically brand new to tuning and once I actually figured out how do to it with help from Brian and Eric (Snowborder714, TurboSAX2) I learned the MAF and everything else. I took what I knew and did some reading on the ecmlink's wiki and got speed density working great.

It cleans everything up and no worries about boost/vacuum leaks at all. Hell, I blew off my LICP and drove it to the shop like that to get some welding done to get it all hooked back up properly. Did I have any issues at all, no, if I had a MAF on there then yes I wouldn't be driving it at all LOL. However the GM MAF in blow through would have provided the same thing but I don't have one nor would I want one.

Stick with speed density as it's cleaner, easy to use, less problematic if a leak occurs, etc.

Thanks LiquidX. I think you pretty much answered my question. I am definitely gonna get the SD cable when I order my DSMlink next month.

I see your mods list shows your running SD w/ DSM Link. Have you been dynoed? What kind of numbers are showing?

Also how is your throttle response compared to when you still had a MAF?

You don't need the cable but it does clean things up. You won't have to buy pig tails for your sensors or splice into any wires.

No dyno here, and I'm awaiting the return of my car again for some things that need fabricated/fixed. Once being that I cannot clamp securely onto my HX40 without it blowing off. I tried to do some logging and did a "pull" onto the highway and as soon as I gunned it, BOOM!, the LICP blew off of the compressor cover. No issues with driving though :thumb:

Once I get tuned good, I'll look into some dyno time but that may not be for a little while.

IMO the only time throttle response would change is if you had pre existing air leaks that were affecting your car prior to switching to SD where the leaks would effect the air/fuel mixture.

Don't forget that you still need to fix any boost leaks you have as those WILL still affect your overall performance.

Yeah yeah I know about boost leaks. But I forget who it was, I saw that switched to SD and had there car retuned and gained like 9 or 10 hp. And you clean out your intake path significantly.

It's possible that the new tune they acquired when switching to SD advanced timing and made more power on the same setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back