The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

SBR GT11 BB Turbo info

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokinatchaPunk

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2002
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
First off...Yeah I searched. Only to find pretty weak info on the GT12 and GT13.

Anybody using the GT11.... To me it sounds pretty rad and I'm lookin to get one pretty soon. Now keep in mind before you start chanting "get a FPRED, GT35R, 3052"..To me bigger isn't always better. Seems to me alot ("not all") people throw the biggest thing possible on when with proper tuning it's pretty amazing what you can do. I'm not that big into the 1/4mile but low 12's high 11's would be nice.

Check out my mods...and see if this looks realistic.

Not to be a dick but you can reach high 12's on an AWD pretty easliy without many mods.

Plus if you are asking these types of questions you are not ready to up grade!

Personally, I wouldn't go with the GT-11. It's pretty much similar to the FP-2544 that was discontinued by FP. Not very good wheel combo from my understanding. I run the GT-12 on my car, currently (I am selling it too :p ) and it comes with a 38mm IWG from SBR - I run a Tial 35mm EWG on mine. It will not creep if you have a good flowing exhaust system. That turbo will run 12's all day and people have run 11's on it as well. I have seen people flow from 43lbs/min all the way to 49lb/min with different setups so it's a pretty decent "medium sized" turbo. You should get full boost on that 3,500-3,800rpm according to your setup. Later. ;) :thumb:

According to my research (I've been looking at the GT10, FP2544, and SS44 turbo's), the GT11 is very similar to the fp3052, your max flow rates are only 2lbs off and they're both based on the gt30. People rant and rave about the FP3052 whereas there isn't a lot of support on the board for the GT11 (I believe this is a fairly new turbo, so that could explain it).

In response to one of the other statements, it appears to me that the FP2544 is more similar to the GT10 than the GT11, but the GT10/11 both have a Garrett GT30 chra whereas the fp2544 has a gt25 chra. According to another thread (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106600&highlight=fp2544), the gt25 chra is better suited for quick spool in the smaller flow rates. And I believe the reviews of the fp3052 speak for themselves.

I'm not saying what you should do one way or another. I just think if I were in your position I would spend a lot of time getting information (i.e. on the phone etc) from the manufacturers on the gt11 and the fp3052 as they seem like very similar turbo's.

liquordrunk said:
Not to be a dick but you can reach high 12's on an AWD pretty easliy without many mods.

Plus if you are asking these types of questions you are not ready to up grade!

Well you weren't trying but you succeeded.... WTF is "if you are asking these types of questions you are not ready to up grade!"
How about you let me know when I am....Do I have to take a test with you?

What I was asking was for peoples opinion on the turbo. I dont see too many people using it (but that could be because a majority of people on the site are purely straight line racers) and I wanted to see if the people that aren't obsessed with straightline racing would chime in.

Maybe I should of just PM Nate at SBR

Upon further contemplation, you may even want to look at the FP2544(discontinued, I know) and the SS44. I believe I have similar goals to you with regards to 1/4 mile time, but I'm really building my car for road racing/autoX. I guess it might boil down to whether you want an easy sub 11sec quarter mile (compensate for inexperience with power), or if you want to really challenge your tuning and driving skills to get there with a smaller turbo and retain a better transient response. Because very small turbo's have tickled the 11's with good tuning and experience.

PokinatchaPunk said:
First off...Yeah I searched. Only to find pretty weak info on the GT12 and GT13.

Anybody using the GT11.... To me it sounds pretty rad and I'm lookin to get one pretty soon. Now keep in mind before you start chanting "get a FPRED, GT35R, 3052"..To me bigger isn't always better. Seems to me alot ("not all") people throw the biggest thing possible on when with proper tuning it's pretty amazing what you can do. I'm not that big into the 1/4mile but low 12's high 11's would be nice.

Check out my mods...and see if this looks realistic.
Well you kind of contradict yourself, you say "i'm not big into 1/4 mile times" but on your wish list you state "50 trim, 11 sec time slip". What do you really want? street drivability, or straight line performance? Theres going to be a payoff either way. The GT 30R,35R will put you in that range, but with a slight loss in spool up.

Your right thou bigger is'nt always better its just what your looking forin a turbo, and with your mods bigger than a 20g sounds better.

Hell a E16g will put you in the 11-12 sec range w/tunning. And remember power is just a down shift away. :p

If you are so concerned with spool, get an EVO III 16G. It's cheaper than all those GT turbos, perfect for auto-X and can be pushed to high 11's. You make the call. What do you REALLY want? ;)

Well as far as price goes I'm gettin a deal on a GT11 + fluidyne+slim fans for 1150.

As far as me making up my mind...yeah I suppose I should update my wish list. "50trim and an 11sec slip" Let me rephrase my self on the whole "I'm not big into the 1/4mile racing statement"..... Although it's sometimes fun It's not my "passion" unlike others who devote how they build their DSM to focus on the 1/4.

That's the thing..I'm trying not to limit my options...I dont think you have to pick either straight or autox style turbos. Some seem to do pretty good on both. See what I'm getting at?

Seems like people have thrown out a lot of thoughts, not sure what more you're looking for. The GT11 is plenty large enough to reach your 1/4 mile goals, and is probably still responsive enough for good transient response on autoX and road course (I would go smaller, but that's just a matter of preference). What more do you want? Seems like there aren't enough people using it (or reading this thread) to tell you first hand experience. It's a good price, go for it, let us know how it is. Or, call the company and discuss your goals with them.

This thread really hasn't given him any useful data and was chalk full of people's random unrealted opinions. DSMtuners seems to be going the way of the newbie.

Pokinatcha---Give a call to Slowboy and see what they have to say about the turbo. Tell them your goals and then maybe they can support your decision of the GT11 or based on the info you give them, recommend something that may be better.

A bit off topic but for reference...

GT-12 = GT30R with smaller exhaust side

GT-13 = Essentially a ball bearing 60-1

GT-14 = GT35R with smaller exhaust side

ALL 3 are ball bearing. And each time you go larger you add about 200 rpm of spool time for each step up, depending on tune.

VRMAN said:
This thread really hasn't given him any useful data and was chalk full of people's random unrealted opinions. DSMtuners seems to be going the way of the newbie.

Pokinatcha---Give a call to Slowboy and see what they have to say about the turbo. Tell them your goals and then maybe they can support your decision of the GT11 or based on the info you give them, recommend something that may be better.

I couldn't of said it any better...I PMed nate from Slowboy in hopes he would chime in on the thread but obviously he's been alittle too busy. Tomorrow I'll call'em and let everyone know what's up....

damax03 said:
A bit off topic but for reference...

GT-12 = GT30R with smaller exhaust side
so how would the smaller exhaust side change performance?

VRMAN said:
This thread really hasn't given him any useful data and was chalk full of people's random unrealted opinions.

...and you did? :confused:

You will always get the BEST opinion from another person running the same turbo/setup and not the vendor who wants to sell you his product. There are alot of vendors out there who hype their products and they do not perform to those expectations. There are also VERY FEW vendors who have actually tried/tested all their turbos in their lineups to give you specific information. They just give you second hand info. which sucks most of the time. :thumb:

I gave my impression of the GT-12 (which I run) which is one stage higher than the GT-11 he so seeks. It was hardly a "random, unrelated opinion." ;)

PokinatchaPunk said:
Well SBR isn't going to make a dime from me buying the turbo...i'm not buying it from them.

when chosing a turbo you really should figure out how much your engine will flow (and supportng mods figure in there) then you should pick a turbo that will match those flow numbers at its most efficent levels.

thats why I'm going with the GT-11 for my 2.3L, its nearly a perfect flow match & should be the most efficent set up

plus i love Autox and only ocationaly do 1/4 runs.

diambo4life said:
If you are so concerned with spool, get an EVO III 16G. It's cheaper than all those GT turbos, perfect for auto-X and can be pushed to high 11's. You make the call. What do you REALLY want? ;)

I agree on the 16g idea. if your not big into drag racing and just want to feel a big "hit" then buy a small turbo that will deliver a nasty midrange curve...i.e. evo 16g, or 20g.

the 20g is actually a GROSSLY under-rated turbo. a personal freind of mine made 391 whp with one on 25 psi. it made 25 psi by around 3600 rpm (thats 16g territory). definitely an awesome street turbo. if they weren't so expensive, i'd run one on a street car instantly. with the evo 16g being ~$600 brand new though, that may be the obvious choice.

-d

gimmie11s said:
the 20g is actually a GROSSLY under-rated turbo. a personal freind of mine made 391 whp with one on 25 psi. it made 25 psi by around 3600 rpm (thats 16g territory).

Of course, 391whp at 25psi is also 16G territory. :)

PokinatchaPunk said:
See my mods in my profile....flowage (if that's a word) shouldn't be a problem

What injectors do you plan on using?

720's, because I'd rather not push my injectors to the limit ;)

plus i'm spraying alch so i'll be pushing high boost on pump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back