The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Saturn alternator relocation with Jay's bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaatr

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2010
San Jose, California
Who's done this on a 1G and who's got some pics... I'm looking at the bracket set and alternator and I'm not seeing how this is going to work. :hmm:

Help please!!!

-Raffi

Note the spacer between the alternator bracket and the tensioner. The bracket stands vertical on the block and its held in by the two bolts for the piece that sits horizontal on the block. The top of the bracket sorta catches a square looking part of the block so it doesn't move left and right when its bolted down.

It bolts on to where the A/C compressor was, so that bracket will have to be removed. The Jay Racing bracket also takes up the gap between the intermediate shaft and the block.

Sorry that my jmfab coil pack bracket is blocking most of the shot, but it should give you a better idea.

Run the other spacer in the kit closest to the bracket. This will put the alternator pulley extremely close to the frame rail. You'll have to put the belt on first before securing the alternator to the bracket. The alternator belt will ride on the outside part of the harmonic balancer.

Attachments

• alt.jpg
    alt.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,581
  • alt1.jpg
    alt1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,362
Thanks BrokenTsi... that's what I wanted!

I also called Jay and asked if he had an installation guide and he said something like 'there wasn't one in the box? Oops!' Honest mistake... he just emailed it to me so now I'm doubly good!

-Raffi

FML!!! there is a broken screw in one of the holes I need for the lower bracket!!!

-Raffi

Ok I'm back with the questions and a big plee for HELP!!!

BrokenTSI's pics are great and I have the alternator bracket in and the alternator is hinged on it... Is there supposed to be a difference in the length of the adjustment rod between the DSM and Saturn alternator? I ordered a Saturn kit but there is no way I can see that the rod that came with will work.

I know others have done this relocation with a Saturn alternator... PLEASE shoot a pic of the adjuster for me and I'll have a happy 4th!!!

-Raffi

Are you sure you got the right Saturn alternator? Can you post a pic of all your parts?

There is a difference between the adjuster for the DSM alternator and the Saturn alternator. The one for the Saturn/GM alternator is much shorter.

I'm very sure I got the right alternator... I found a thread a while back (that I can't find now) that showed both the DSM and Saturn parts side by side and I got a match...

For some reason BrokenTSI I thought you had a different kit but looking at it again I see that it is a JayRacing setup, am I right? If so I clearly have the wrong adjuster/kit. First the rod is 7 - 8" long, second the supplied bolt and spacer don't fit since the Saturn alternator's adjuster tab isn't threaded and even if I used a longer bolt it's too far down to work. :notgood:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I grabbed a spare bolt and installed the heim joint as you have it and if the adjuster rod was 3'ish inches long I think it would work...

Funny thing is that I know I ordered the Saturn setup and I even ordered the Saturn pigtail which should have further confirmed my intentions... :ohdamn:

Oh well honest mistake. I guess I'm on the phone to Jay on Tuesday!

-Raffi

You're supposed to use the spacer on the alternator bracket itself. If your adjuster rod is anywhere near 7" long, its the wrong one.

That adjuster tab/hole thing on the backside of the alternator isn't used. Actually, I used it to toss an extra ground on the alternator to the firewall.

I would say that my JayRacing adjuster rod is between 3-4" long between the heim joints. I'll take some pics tonite, I'm about to head off to the garage anyways to get some work done.

You're supposed to use the spacer on the alternator bracket itself.

Agreed... but I got two slightly different ones... one for the alternator bracket and one, according to the instructions that only cover the DSM install, for the adjuster at the alternator tab.

I think I've got it all worked out now...

-Raffi

Raffi,
Yes, it looks like you received the regular 1G kit. We will ship out a replacement shorter tensioner rod for you today.

Thank you,
Jay White
Jay Racing
937 248 7846
[email protected]
Jay Racing

Thanks Jay!

One last question...

Do I have the heim joint on the block bracket correct or do I use the second spacer and a longer bolt here?

-Raffi

Last edited by a moderator:
I just emailed you back, but the Saturn style kits only require the 1 lower spacer, none on top as this photo above shows.

Jay

how are you guys wiring it? i wouldnt want to wire it next to all the belts and stuff and i definately wouldnt wanna do no ugly wire thru the top kinda stuff.

is it ok to just disconnect the alternator wire from the fuse box all together and just run a new wire from there to the relocated alternator? i think thatll make my life a whole lot easier

That was my plan... no point in making that long loop. I should have some pics to share in the next day or two... I hope.

-Raffi

how are you guys wiring it? i wouldnt want to wire it next to all the belts and stuff and i definately wouldnt wanna do no ugly wire thru the top kinda stuff.

is it ok to just disconnect the alternator wire from the fuse box all together and just run a new wire from there to the relocated alternator? i think thatll make my life a whole lot easier

I only had to jump one wire from the factor harness over to the alternator. I used a 12v switched wire from the old EGR or FPR solenoid (i forget which one) with the original connector so I can simply unplug it when I need to.

well i was looking at the fuse box and im not sure where exactly to run the wire from. one of the sides of the alt fuse connects to where all the other wires are at my battery terminal, including my battery itself. can i run a whole new wire connected to that giant clusterfvck of wires to the alt power or do i need to go directly from the fuse? this pic shows my examples...

well i was looking at the fuse box and im not sure where exactly to run the wire from. one of the sides of the alt fuse connects to where all the other wires are at my battery terminal, including my battery itself. can i run a whole new wire connected to that giant clusterfvck of wires to the alt power or do i need to go directly from the fuse? this pic shows my examples...

The alternator needs its own fuse. Go from the alternator to the fuse itself, then the fuse to the battery like stock. I bought a 4ga battery cable from autozone that was long enough to do the job.

The alternator needs its own fuse. Go from the alternator to the fuse itself, then the fuse to the battery like stock. I bought a 4ga battery cable from autozone that was long enough to do the job.

so like the top of my pic mixed with the bottom? if it isnt to much to ask can i get a pic of how you wired it up?

remember, my plan here is to NOT extend/use the factory wire that was powering my old alt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back