The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G ?'s on 3000gt brakes on a 2G DSM...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiki2777

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I have tried to sift through all the stuff but i can not find anything helpful on this at all. Has anyone been able to get rotors and calipers from a 3000gt SL or VR4 (specify please) onto a 2G DSM? What modifications need to be done, is it a bolt on upgrade? Thanks in advance.

If remember correctly yes, and they just bolt on, not sure on the lines or not, and i think youll need 17" or larger rims as they are bigger than the 'big brakes' on the 92.5 and ups. You can ask RRE for sure, they would know.

you'll need the jdm galant knuckles for them to be bolt on, otherwise you need to custom make a bracket. a company used to sell kits that'd let you bolt them on directly but i forget the name, i think they were a vendor on here though. pretty sure you'll need to use the cobra 13" rotors.

if u gotta get galant knuckles might as well just get some brembos imo

You actually have a few options in terms of which calipers and what size rotors. It's covered well in this thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/405245-3000-gt-tt-brakes.html First choose the rotor size that you want to run, then get an adapter from, for example, RTK to install whichever caliper you decide to go with.

If you want a simple recommendation: the RTK kit for Cobra rotors and VR4 calipers.

Oh, and it should go without saying that Mr PopUps is wrong. You will need an adapter bracket. They do not bolt right up.

Finally, the adapter approach is much easier that swapping knuckles.

Are you getting the 2 piston calipers or the 4 piston?

If you get the 2 piston they bolt right up to the stock knuckle, but the brakes lines are different.
For the 4 piston you need a bracket made to bolt up to the stock knuckles.

On non jdm knuckles, you need brackets. You use cobra 13"rotors. Not all 17" rims clear. I have a set of 18s on my wife's spyder that don't work because of the offset. I have a post on here. It was my DIY

Are you getting the 2 piston calipers or the 4 piston?

I'm sorry. I made an assumption. The OP has a 98 GSX. I assumed that he was swapping in the fixed 4-piston, not another floating 2-pot.

Thanks alot guys this helps alot. :thumb: Good recommendations to. One question, if they make the adapter brackets for the 4 pot Vr4 calipers, then wouldn't those fit the Brembo evo calipers? Just wondering. And.... do the Vr4 rears bolts on?

Maybe I'm just passing the buck because you're asking questions to which I'm not sure of the answers, but the guys are RTK are some of the best at adapting brakes from one platform to another. I would contact them, at least to verify anything you "learn" here. As to VR4 vs Evo: that's often a cost issue more than anything else. Getting parts off a VR4 just seems to be cheaper. As to the rears: I have no clue. But I'm in a similar situation, albeit moving the opposite direction: getting small brakes for the front of an Evo X is easy; getting small brakes for the rear is darned near impossible.

The VR4 rear bolt holes do line up and you will have to use the vr4 rear rotor as well. Some minor clearance grinding is needed and on mine I used some spacers to set my caliper centered on the center line of the rotor. I removed my dust shield as well.

Here's some discussion on the vr4 swap stuff that helped me with my swap. http://www.3si.org/forum/f36/what-does-take-upgrade-na-non-abs-vr4-brakes-523140/index2.html Its the last post on page 2.

I have my brakes off right now if you need some pics of anything specific. Most of the vr4 swaps suggest using the 1g 3kgt vr4 front calipers with the tuners nation bracket and 2g 3kgt vr4 rotors. I ended up with 2g 3kgt vr4 calipers on all four corners, lexus front rotors, 2g 3kgt vr4 rotors on rear, tuners nation brackets on front, and spacers all the way around to set the caliper at the correct offset.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just passing the buck because you're asking questions to which I'm not sure of the answers, but the guys are RTK are some of the best at adapting brakes from one platform to another. I would contact them, at least to verify anything you "learn" here. As to VR4 vs Evo: that's often a cost issue more than anything else. Getting parts off a VR4 just seems to be cheaper. As to the rears: I have no clue. But I'm in a similar situation, albeit moving the opposite direction: getting small brakes for the front of an Evo X is easy; getting small brakes for the rear is darned near impossible.

Yea this is gonna be tough to make sure i get all the right stuff, but their website looks beast.

Thanks 2slow4now, maybe i can get them for cheaper then the evo brembo rears.

I know it's different but I used a Audi rotor on my vr4 brake upgrade for my 1g. They where 30mm thick rotors at like 12 3/4" dia. But the best part was the hat had enough back spacing I didn't need wheel spacers like with the cobra rotors. And they where only $70 from autozone. Autozones website gives all the rotor specs online which is awesome for finding the right dimension.

If you don't care if you get the lettering or not RockAuto Parts Catalog Looks like you could have a complete rebuilt set up for around $400 for calipers. That's not bad considering how much a set of used Brembo's will cost.

If your going to do it I would suggest getting 1g front calipers, 2g rear calipers, 2g vr4 rotors all 4 corners, tuners bracket, and have a simple spacer made for the rear caliper to set at the different rotor hat height. My spacer ended up being four .310 thick pieces of 3/4" round steel stock with a hole drilled in the center for the caliper bolt. With the spacer and using 2g rotors you don't have the problems the SL 3kgt guys have of the rotor not making full contact with the brake pads or not being able to have an Ebrake.

Here's some pics. Sorry it took so long they been running me every day at work. By the time I get home I have time to eat, take care of a few house hold things, and go to bed. I haven't even touched the car in over a week. :toobad:

This is the tuners nation bracket mounted with the spacers I made to set the 2g calipers to the Lexus rotor.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is one of the four spacers I made for the rear calipers.

This is what you have to grind on the Ebrake assembly for the rear calipers.

Front calipers mounted. Evo Wheels 3kgtvr4 Calipers - evo wheels, 2g 3kgt vr4 tt front calipers and modded lexus gs350 rotors DSMtuners Gallery

If you go on tuners nation the have the brackets.:thumb:

More pics mounted on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you refering to RTM in Canada?
FHSWedge
Rick

I have 1g VR4 rotors with the RTM brackets and Cobra 13" rotors. Then, I have the 2 pot Brembo's and rotors from an Evo 8 in the rear. I use Evo 8 wheels on my car, which gives enough (not by much) clearance. My only issue right now is that while they stop well, they still do not feel much better than the prev GSX setup I had previously, which I think is in part to still having the stock sized brake booster and master cylinder. It feels like I just don't have enough clamping power as if I try to make a quick stop at low speed (like when some idiot floors it in reverse coming out of a spot in a parking lot), I actually can't even lock the wheels on a car without ABS (prev couldn't either), though that may be an issue with my car... I heard using the 3G eclipse parts improves the brake feel and power though since it is larger booster and cylinder, same as the VR4 and Evo.

I have the RTM brackets on my 2g gst. I have the 3kgt vr4 fronts with 13" cobra rotors and Evo rear calipers with evo rotors. At the same time I also did the STM abs delete and made the install so easy. I also upgraded the brake booster and master cylinder to 3g v6 ones. I am running a 17x8 rpf1 with a 35 et.

I have the RTM brackets on my 2g gst. I have the 3kgt vr4 fronts with 13" cobra rotors and Evo rear calipers with evo rotors. At the same time I also did the STM abs delete and made the install so easy. I also upgraded the brake booster and master cylinder to 3g v6 ones. I am running a 17x8 rpf1 with a 35 et.

Did you use the STM abs delete for a 2g or a 1g? I ask because everything I've read states you need 1g lines for the 3000gt calipers.

Have you looked into the Brembo CTS-V calipers. I believe they are supposed to be bolt on and KMV also makes a bracket for larger 14" rotors. They are also way cheap through GMparts. Last I checked they were running about $130-140 per caliper. I believe they came loaded too.

Did you use the STM abs delete for a 2g or a 1g? I ask because everything I've read states you need 1g lines for the 3000gt calipers.

I used the 2g kit, but I asked them at STM what kit I should use for the calipers and they said the 2g kit would work no problem. I haven't had any leaks or lack of braking so I'd have to agree with them.

the brackets needed for the swap are pretty spendy... i have a buddy here in oregon that can make em for half the cost from shop.. pm if interested

I'm using NA 3000gt dual piston calipers. I did need the 17 inch rims and Koenig works well. Also please note to upgrade to stainless lines throughout the braking system since it was needed on mine I figured I'd help you out on that, however I guess it depends on the app because I don't use a bracket adapter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back