The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] what tool would you use to pull front crank seal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownfinger

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2008
Normal, Illinois
I picked-up a beater, the previous owner told me that the oil leak is the front crank seal. When I looked at the T-belt, I about crapped myself. I got a pair of new belts at my local dealer, they had the seal in stock, too. So, I'm doin' me a timing belt this weekend. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on a way to get that sucker out of there without scratching the crank. BTW, I'm perfectly willing to weld a beer can to two popsicle sticks and hook it up to the compressor, or whatever, so let me know how you'd do it...
Thanks

Beer can and popsicle sticks? WTF
Go get a $3 seal puller kit from your local parts store, it looks like a wine cork popper, also has other tools in the kit, very useful.
Grab a BSEK while your down there! It could be an oil leak from the rear BS shaft as well, but I wouldn't start it if you gaged looking at the current belt.

Thanks for the help. Beer can/popsicle sticks: I was just indicating a willingness to fabricate a tool, like the battery hold-down=belt-tensioner-tool trick. It was a brain-fart moment. I'll hop in the truck and head to Advance for a seal puller, but I doubt they stock a bsek. Right now I'm trying to get the car back towards stock, then I'll start messing-it-up again. And yeah, I do kinda expect to open it up and find both cam seals and the bs seal leaking too. It wouldn't suprise me.

I once took a self tapping screw, screwed it into the old seal and pulled it out. Just got it far in enough to where I felt was safe, and came right out. The trick to getting the new one in is slab it up in motor oil or assembly lube and find an appropriate sized socket to push it in.

I once took a self tapping screw, screwed it into the old seal and pulled it out. Just got it far in enough to where I felt was safe, and came right out. The trick to getting the new one in is slab it up in motor oil or assembly lube and find an appropriate sized socket to push it in.

Interesting idea...That's where I was going with the beer-can/popsicle-sticks thang. If it was an axle seal or something I'd just yank it, but I'm not pulling my crank to change the seal!:sneaky: I don't really want to scratch it, either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back