The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] transfer case capacity

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akira235

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2008
c, D.C.
my haynes manual says .3 quarts but that just doesn't seem right, because according to the manual it should also leak back out of the filler hole once it is full. so whats going on here? cause i put .3 in and it definitely wasn't leaking back out.

It actually is around 0.5 qts. The rear diff takes around 0.9 qts. The transmission takes around 2.4-2.5 qts.

Good luck,

No matter what capacity a manual, or a tech guide, or a blogger tells you fill it until it dribbles back out of the hole. It's the ONLY way to know it's full. You certainly don't want the transfer case low on oil!!

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

but in retrospect, when filling the transfer case, i need to get under the car, so how do i go about doing that and keeping the t'case level so i don't overfill?

The miniscule amount you may 'overfill' it is neglible. There's still plenty of space in the case to take up that little extra oil. Even if you WAY overfilled it somehow, there's a vent on top of the case it would spew out of. Overfilling is much better than underfilling!

If you're really anal about it jack up the rear of the car the same as the front and go for it.

thanks, wasn't really sure if overfill would be problematic or not.

The miniscule amount you may 'overfill' it is neglible. There's still plenty of space in the case to take up that little extra oil. Even if you WAY overfilled it somehow, there's a vent on top of the case it would spew out of. Overfilling is much better than underfilling!

If you're really anal about it jack up the rear of the car the same as the front and go for it.

If you overfilled the tranny, it can leak out of the axle seals from all the pressures. The same goes for engine oil. I usually follow the factory recommend amount and no more. More won't necessary mean bad but it can become wasted since these fluids aren't cheap. This is just my personal opinion.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give my experience.

Put my car up on ramps and filled transfer case 3 months ago (1800 miles). It took .9 quarts. I know manual says about 1/2 quart but I filled until it came out hole.

Last week I noticed what appeared to be a leak....transfer case oil flung onto underside of car. So, I figure new yoke and seal time...right. Can't hurt because they are 18 years old.

When I drained my transfer case there was right at 1/2 quart of lube still in it.

Is it possible my seals and plug are good and it just got rid of the excess oil?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back