The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] 1g Fuel Filler Hose (rubber elbow)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ23GSX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2004
W. Springfield, Massachusetts
I was wondering how you guys are fixing the rubber fuel filler elbow on a 1g. Apparently mitsu doesn't make these anymore and I need to come up with a fix pretty quickly. Mines dry rotted to hell and leaking. I was told radiator hose will eventually turn to mush if i tried it. Is that true? Anyone know the i.d. of it?

****UPDATE FIXED****

I just got done fixing this problem this morning. I did my own research as the idiots at my local Napa couldn't help me find anything.

The correct Napa part number is NBH1038 and can be ordered here NAPAONLINE® It was a part that no Napa stocked within 50 miles of where I live.

I have not ever replaced the filler neck before but i know that if your trying to find good, big ID hose, pretty much the only parts store to get it (by the foot) is NAPA. I had to get 3" ID hose one time and could not find it anywhere else.

I ran across the same problem with my 91 GSX. I luckily found one at a junk yard that was easy to take off. However, you should be able to find a universal 90* you can use at napa/autozone/advance ect. It is a fairly easy part to replace just make sure the clamps are tight. :thumb:

I ran across the same problem with my 91 GSX. I luckily found one at a junk yard that was easy to take off. However, you should be able to find a universal 90* you can use at napa/autozone/advance ect. It is a fairly easy part to replace just make sure the clamps are tight. :thumb:

The only universals i've come across so far were all straight. I checked 3 different parts stores locally so far.

Damn that sucks man your best bet would be junk yard or classifieds or if any of your buddys have a parts car

Yeah all my buddies got rid of their parts cars for the winter and the closest junkyard with any dsm's is about an hour away and is probly a muddy mess with all this rain we've been getting.

This can be addendum to the original poster. My 1g had leak that I didn't notice. Hint: when you go to gas station to fill up, you open the gas cap and you don't hear the "psssss" air leak, this might be the culprit.
Fuel tank and the rest of the system supposed to be sealed system. Not to mention you see gas gauge dropping for no apparent reason, and the gas smell if in garage. The hose is called "fuel filler hose". It's 90 deg elbow. 1.3/4 inch ID.

Anyhow, the other part number is GATES24716. This is not cross referenced when googling with car model. It fits many other car models. I got it from Carquest local store. Price was around $22 total.
This was incidentally the lowest price compared to online jobbers like Jeg, or some others.

The hose is much longer than you need. So you need to cut it to fit. Drain your fuel(drain plug is close to where the hose connects to tank). For me, I just took off the stocker hose and put a basin below it.
Now, take off the hose and line it up on the new hose. Cut it exact length or slightly shorter. And, cut it with a good strong knife or large shears. Point is, you wanna be straight as possible than cut crooked.

Mind you, this hose is much thicker than stocker hose. When trying to slip it over to the metal pipe, it fights back robustly. I used silicone spray to move the clamps to line up. It will be tight even though you loosen the clamp completely off.

Caveat and Warning: I'm not responsible for accident from doing this work. There is a profound danger of doing this job. Don't do this if you are not sure if you can deal with good car common sense. Get someone who knows about this kind of work:

I had so much fuel collected on basins and jars. I had cracked open my garage door but the fume was very strong. AND, made me nervous handling this. If there was a even a static electricity, it could blow up. If it blows, you will be on evening news!!! If you are doing this, make sure to do in open and well ventilated area. PLUS, don't do things that will create sparks. Even you have safely moved the collected gas out of the way, gas tank inlet is still open and exposed to air. It will keep on fuming. USE NON-METAL container to collect gas, as you will be sliding the container under that car and the sliding can cause spark. Plus, try not to hit metal pipe and hose-clamp together. It can spark! It looks easy before doing the work, till you got gas next to your face and fumes all around.

After done, I smelled like I was marinated in gas all day long!!! Just be careful! This makes you feel like you are in a minefield. Ju no!!!

Sorry to dig up the dead but this was a lifesaver!!! I switched over to E85 and it's exposing all my cars weaknesses, this elbow having escaped notice until now. Thanks for the parts #'s, I have to go find an open store to save my $2.19 a gallon race fuel!LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back