The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Removing Throttle body oxidation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskanDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ok, so I have a second TB that I wanted to rebuild and I was going on vacation. the 2nd TB was dirty and I wanted to clean it and bought some simple green max. Well after asking around and making sure that that stuff won't eat rubber, I left the TB in the simple green while I went away on vacation. Well little did I know that Simple Green would cause aluminum to Oxidize and turn a horrid dark grey.... WTF

I am wondering what I can do to remove the oxidation as I cannot get a brush on the inside of the TB. It cleaned all the screws and stuff up pretty good and there was a lot of crap in the bucket too but I think I learned my lesson about this one. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to remove this grey disaster, I would really appreciate it. I will try to post pictures later.

Some of the things I have found is to try using vinegar and water, mild detergents etc... but I don;t know how well it will work. I currently am trying to let it soak for a couple minutes in Cascade dish soap and water.

Attachments

• IMG_0273[1].jpg
    IMG_0273[1].jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0272[1].jpg
    IMG_0272[1].jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Holy shit bro, LOL

Get some oven cleaner called Easy Off BAM...it will remove oxidation from aluminum.

yea I wouldn't recommend letting stuff soak in Simple Green like that but I will look into theover cleaner but when I did some research, the lye in over cleaner when heated over time seems to have a problem with the aluminum. But bead blasting would be nice, I just don't have any way to do so. Sand paper, wouldn't be good as you couldn't get it all off. I can slowly get it off with a toothbrush but was hoping for some other method...

I would say bead blast it. Here's how well it worked on an IM...

mmmmmmmmmm looks soooo sexy!!!!!!!!!! :sneaky:

But I hope that they would be able to do that and clean up all the springs and everything as well. I just want the whole thing to look nice before I put it in my car.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Anything remotely abrasive that touches the polished precision area of where the throttle plate is will screw with how it functions. Well - depending how nuts you go with cleaning it.
I'd just take it to a reputable metal shop.

This is funny because I just took my throttle body apart and took the intake manifold off and cleaned them up, then painted them with Duplicolor's engine enamel "Cast Aluminum" and it looks EXACTLY like the "bead blasted" one you posted a picture of. Pretty good shit, that paint is.

You can always use an aluminum acid etch that is called "Aluminum brightener" from NAPA. I used it on my RVR intake manifold. Here are a few before pics. I can't snap any after pics right now because my sister is on vacation with my camera but it looks just like the bead blasted intake just more of a flat aluminum finish instead of a shiny aluminum finish. Plus it's only like 20 bucks for a gallon. Bead blasting is the way to go though. I will snap a pic for you when she gets back. LOL If she ever comes back.

Oh yeah I used it on my 1g throttle body but I ran out of brightener so it still needs work.

Surprisingly a highly abrasive toothpaste works quite well once you get all of the build up off and your down to just the discoloration.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back