The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

remove 7 bolt awd auto trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samus21

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 27, 2012
Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
I'm have issue removing my 7 bolt block from the trans... I think i have remover all bolts but im not sure. could some one give me a check list of bolts to remove?

It's not necessary to unbolt the torque converter as it doesn't hold the engine to the trans.

Here are the bolt locations:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And there is a 12mm bolt under the intake that is oriented in the opposite direction:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's not necessary to unbolt the torque converter as it doesn't hold the engine to the trans.

Yes you're right. However, if the OP is trying to remove the trans with the engine still in the car the torque converter will not only be a pain in the ass to get the trans out but will also spill all is fluid onto the floor.

Make sure you unbolt the torque converter and that it comes out with the transmission. Make sure the transfer case is removed, rear transmission mount, ALL of the bolts and axles removed and out of the way. Without any obstructions it'll come out and it WILL be heavy. Definitely be sure that the torque converter comes with the trans and doesnt hang up. If you let the trans hang on the input shaft it could be a very bad day for you.

i just did this. DO NOT leave the torque converter bolted to the flex plate, this will not allow the trans enough room to come out and can damage the trans pump, bushing and seal. the rear (at firewall) mount has a speed sensor going through it. this is often overlooked and broken when removing. check there. i have my 2g auto awd trans out right now about to go back in. if you need any pictures or questions just ask.

Ive heard but never seen that you'd be able to remove the motor and transmission together but you'd have to get real silly with the positioning to maneuver it out. Not 100% on this, just what I've heard.

Ive heard but never seen that you'd be able to remove the motor and transmission together but you'd have to get real silly with the positioning to maneuver it out. Not 100% on this, just what I've heard.

I don't know about a 2g, but on my fwd 1g I have pulled both engine and trans at the same time.. It wasn't hard at all to do it that way, it slid in and out with no clearance issues.. I changed my trans once without pulling the engine and it made it harder..

Clearances are real nice with the auto. Remove all the pulleys, unbolt everything and just pull the motor. Since the 2g has 3 mounts on the tranny, it will sit there real nice waiting for the motor

Torque Converter Bolts?

There are four 19mm bolts that hold the torque converter to the drive plate. You need to un-bolt them to separate the torque converter from the engine. I removed the trans with the TC still on and didn't have any problems, but the bolts can be removed through he inspection plate prior to pulling the transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back