The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Removal/Installation of 2g trim and weatherstrip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This procedure will show you how to remove and replace the 2g(95-99) trim (drip moulding) and weatherstrip that seems to deteriorate after time. My trim was flaking off as many people have had problems with so I decided to replace it rather than just paint over it. My weatherstrip also had a few tears in it so I decided to replace that while I was at it. This procedure was performed by myself but I take no responsibility for any damage to vehicle or person that may occur while attempting to perform this. Do so at your own risk.

Tools Needed:
1. New trim (drip moulding) piece (2)
2. New weather strip for each side (2)
3. Silicone adhesive
4. Phillips & small flathead screwdriver
5. Cotter pin
6. 80 grit sandpaper or angle grinder (optional)
7. Masking tape (optional)

Step 1: Removal of weather strip and old trim

1. Start off by disconnecting battery because your doors will be open for quite some time while you replace these parts.
2. Open drivers/passengers door to it's full extent so that you have plenty of room to work with.
3. Detatch weatherstrip from body. There will be three push on tabs holding it on at rear of door and two at the front. See picture 1 & 2. The easiest way to do this is with a small flathead screwdriver and your finger. If you're just replacing the trim and not the weatherstrip take care not to rip any piece during removal. Once these are off place to the side or in a plastic bag so that you can reuse them upon installation.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

4. Now that the tabs are out remove the weather strip from the body. You should just have to pull downwards from the trim. See picture 3. Once this is off either throw away (if you're replacing) or place to the side for re-installation.

5. Next remove the upper part of the interior weatherstrip. See picture 4. Again you just pull down from roof to remove. Just lay the top portion on the seat so it's out of the way for now.

6. Now that everything is off and out of the way you can remove the drip moulding from the body. There will be 16 Phillips head screws holding it on. See picture 5. Remove all of these and place to the side for re-installation. Once all of the screws are removed you can now remove the drip moulding from the body. After it is off you car will look like this. See picture 6. Now may be a good time to get some degreaser and a rag to clean around where the drip moulding was. Often times there will be dirt, debri, etc. that you might as well clean.

7. Often times surface rust will appear on the drip moulding connector piece. You can clean this up by using a angle grinder or some 80 grit sandpaper. This isn't required but always a good idea. See picture 7.

Step 2: Re-installation of weather strip and drip moulding

1. Once everything is cleaned up and ready to go re-install the drip moulding. There are two small tabs on the track of the drip moulding that should be used. One will be about an inch from the back of the moulding and the other will be directly parrallel with the middle of the sunroof.
2. Re-install phillips head screws back into to the drip moulding and body. Once everything is aligned tighten all screws.
3. The weatherstrip can be a bit tricky to get back onto the track. The best method I have found is to use the round edge of a small cotter pin to push the weatherstrip in and onto the track. See picture 8.

4. Attatch interior weatherstrip onto track and make sure everything is on track and lined up.
5. Once everything is back in place go back to the outer weatherstrip on the ends where the push tabs are inserted. You will notice that there is a small amount of black sealent on the door trim. Using a black silicone adhesive just place a new bead along where the weatherstrip meets the body. See picture 9.

6. Once the sealant has been put on apply pressure and place several pieces of masking tape along weatherstrip to the body of the car. This just helps ensure proper adhesion and no leaks. See picture 10. Leave the tape on for about an hour to properly set and you're done. Enjoy the new trim and weatherstrip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back