The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Rebuild or replace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AE2499

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Bakersfield, California
I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS and I’m currently debating if I should get a rebuilt engine since they don’t make new ones anymore or should I get a new car ? What’s the differences between a new and rebuilt engine?

Rebuilding = rebuild. Replace worn/wearable parts, gaskets, seals, machine areas where it needs to be machined. Check clearances where they need to be checked. Slap it all back together.

Rebuild or replace with a used engine are your only options. Finding a used engine is going to be your cheapest option. If you can do the work yourself, it won’t hurt your pocket as much.

Problem is that nonturbo models don’t hold their value. You can probably find a turbo model for $3500. Better the condition, the more it’ll cost.

There was a really clean gs on CL locally. They originally listed it for $5k. It’s been on there forever and the last time I saw it, price came down to $2500. Don’t see it so might have sold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back