The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Rear Axle help ASAP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
So my awd swap is done. Somehow the passenger side axle shaft popped out of the cv, and stripped the splines on the shaft and cracked the cv assy that holes the balls in place.

Now I cannot find a used LSD axle to save my life. But I did find a Non-LSD axle.

Can I use the lsd inner cup and tripod gimmick with the shaft and outer cv from a non lsd?

The answer is no. I tried it and it will not work. The Non-LSD axle is 2mm thinner than the LSD version. So the splines are thinner too.

No you can not. I have tried this very same thing when my LSD axles were frozen in my hubs. If you are looking to get some new rear LSD axles try RockAuto. I have heard you can get them there but I have not been able to find them since thier site isn't very mobile phone friendly. The only place I could find them when i was looking for myself was at dsmgraveyard. Alot of people will probably come in here and talk s**t about dsmgraveyard but their axles have heald up fine on my car for 3 years now.

Rockauto does not have them, nor any other parts store. Fenco quit making them 5+ years ago as per their sales dept.

Raxles, DSMgraveyard, and DSS has rear ones. All are over $250 a piece.

I myself have NON-LSD axles with LSD inner CUPS. Car runs fine. I dont understand why you guys have problems. Car has put down over 500awhp with them.

I had the same issue looking for LSD axles when i snapped the rear dif cover and caused the axles to ripe out of the cv boots which ended up banging up the axle ends.

The 'balls' on the inner end of the non-lsd axles are smaller than the lsd cup. So I don't know how its working fine.

The 'balls' on the inner end of the non-lsd axles are smaller than the lsd cup. So I don't know how its working fine.

This is true. Actually I have extra sets of both LSD and non LSD axles at home. I can take some measurements when I get home so there is no doubt.

Also, iceman, you put down 500 awhp with a 16g? Those are some amazing numbers for such a small turbo.

No those numbers were with a bolt on PTE6262

id be interested in the size of those ball bearings tho. Ill be installing the FrontLine Fab rear dif cover this winter and ill pull the inner cups off again and measure the balls and check the cups for issues.

Ive had those axles in the car and driving since jan this year. Only thing i can think of is that the tuners member i bought them from didnt know they were LSD axles and listed them as NON-LSD axles.

Use a set of snap ring/c-ring pliers and switch the ball bearings at the inner end from the lsd axle to the non-lsd axle. Then you can use the lsd cups. It is correct that the bearings are smaller on the non-lsd axles. I went through my pics from when i swapped them and we had to swap those bearings.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I just got done doing this, as both wheel bearings were bad and frozed to the axels, dealer wants 500 a peice for them and no one else has them. Dsmgraveyard is the only place to get them for a decent price, driveshaft shop is pretty expensive too, all have to reuse your cups though. Mitsubishi grave yard may have a used set. There is a guy who had a whole lsd rearend for sale on here his name was tkrPerformance. Good luck man!

Use a set of snap ring/c-ring pliers and switch the ball bearings at the inner end from the lsd axle to the non-lsd axle. Then you can use the lsd cups. It is correct that the bearings are smaller on the non-lsd axles. I went through my pics from when i swapped them and we had to swap those bearings.

This also will not work. As mentioned before the LSD axles are thicker than the non LSD axles. I know from first hand experience. If it were that simple I would not have had to buy the LSD axles from dsmgraveyard.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back