The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Really loud Screeching while turning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsok

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2009
Brooklyn, Michigan
A few days ago my car started making a really loud noise while I turn.

This was during the first cold day of the year, I was wondering if that could be affecting anything.

I just replaced the rack and pinion in September, maybe a bad install?

Check your power steering & alternator belt if there loose.
Cold weather will make your belt screech.
Buy some belt spray to stop it from slipping and screeching.

I checked my fluid this morning it was just a little bit above minimum, so I'm going to put more in this after noon, Will someone tell me how to locate my belt.

your belt is the thing that goes around the pulley which is attached to the pump... If you can twist it more than 90* it is too loose

Ya, It's pretty cold outside (mine does the same right at first til it warms up from the heat of the motor, and my belt is adjusted correctly), pump fluid is a bit thicker and it's working the pump some along with the PS pump belt being on the loose side. Take it to a shop to adjust the belt-be your best bet.

its the belt that is attached to the ps pump. on the edge of the pump is a pulley (a round thing that spins while your engine is running) and it has a belt attached to it. thats your power steering belt. if it only happens when you turn than it is the belt. when you turn you wheel it puts more stress on the belt causing it to squeel. if you dont have any spray... rub a bar of soap on the inside of the belt. this will TEMPORARILY stop it... but not for long. if it never stops even with spray than just change the belt.

Cv joint dont squeel it clicks if they are bad.
I say just replace the belts with goodyear gator grip.

Check your power steering & alternator belt if there loose.
Cold weather will make your belt screech.
Buy some belt spray to stop it from slipping and screeching.

Do not use belt spray. It just covers up the problem and makes the engine bay greasy.

i've been having the same problem with my 98 rs, started out as a not so loud squeek and has gotten extremely loud and irritating, i have tried everything with adjusting the tension on the belt and so on, my finally conclusion is that its the pump itself so im gonna go pick up a cheap used one at a salvage yard and see where that gets me. i'll let ya know how it goes

check your crank damper...for damage or wear

my first guess of it being your belts is still up in the air... they usually act like that in these conditions you described

i've been having the same problem with my 98 rs, started out as a not so loud squeek and has gotten extremely loud and irritating, i have tried everything with adjusting the tension on the belt and so on, my finally conclusion is that its the pump itself so im gonna go pick up a cheap used one at a salvage yard and see where that gets me. i'll let ya know how it goes

you ever let it get low on fluid?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back