The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Random Misfire 6-Bolt Swap Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinkin

Probationary Member
Oct 31, 2002
Lenexa, Kansas
Hey guys,
I just recently installed a 6-Bolt motor into my 1995 Eagle Talon TSI following every step and procedure necessary for a successful installation. I started the engine up and drove it around for about 10 miles with the engine running like a dream until I got a CEL and ran the codes and it showed to be the Phantom Random Misfire. The question I have is this, does the method of wiring for the CAS make a difference in the sensor reading or is one method better than the other? I used method 2 from RoadRace for my wiring. Also, I read about using a potentiometer to fix it but was wondering what possible harm that could cause and if there was any other way to fix this problem.
-Justin

I haven't looked into the exact cause of the problem, but I'm guessing you used method 2 so you didn't have to invert the signal.

I would suggest looking for other ways to disable the light, because if you do ever have another problem (that thing can actually be helpful) you'll never know it.

I'm finishing up the swap myself this week, I'll see if I can find more info.

I don't know which style CAS you are running, but the ideal one to use is the 93-94 style with the black lid. It is a hall effect sensor which gives a similar signal to the 2g style sensor. This helps with the misfire problem. If it still persists you can use the potentiometer to change the barometric pressure output, which will prevent the car from setting the code. However this will change the fuel calculations. If you skew the readings for the baro sensor it will think you are either under water, or on top of some mountain, depending on the way it skews the reading. It will deliver more or less fuel because of this. If you have a means to correct that via a SAFC, MAFT, or some other fuel control device then you can probably resolve that issue. I have DSMLink, which has an option to disable the misfire monitor from running. This is the best option, but of course you need DSMLink for that.

I have had some luck with just retarding the ignition timing. the light rarely comes on and i didn't have to go to far with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back