The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Radiator support bushing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamChaser7

Supporting VIP
Jul 18, 2019
Valrico, Florida
How the hell do you get these out to replace? Lol.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How the hell do you get these out to replace? Lol.
That is a mighty good question. I took an Upper apart recently, with the thought of 3D printing the rubber part, which on mine was badly deteriorated. I dunno what that center steel stub is, but I can tell you that the rubber part is bonded to the steel cup outside it, and then THAT was press-fit into the bracket. And I'm talking hydraulic-press, not finger-press. LOLROFL

I used Chevy sway bar bushings for the top bushings and my lower ones just sit in their supports.

I would like to remove for thoroughness with painting and what not and replace with these..
Surely there’s a way without destroying anything. I was thinking after initial tests it might take some heat and yes a press/puller/squeezer of some type? :hmm:
And yah the steel post was also a question I had, it just sits in there and tries to fall out when I roll the car on rotisserie. Not sure what it’s purpose is as it’s been a long time since I removed radiator, but would like to find those new too if possible, not that I think there’s anything wrong with mine, just ya know, want everything new as possible. Haven’t got there yet.

Something only someone with parts on hand would find out..
Any particular part # of importance?
No. I can guarantee that the bushing were for a mid 80's Camaro tho

Hey Rob, @92Turbski I noticed you had your bushings out in your last post. Any pointers ?
Mine were so blown out they kind of fell out, LOL.

They do have an outer steel casing. So, I'd (personally) use a propane/Map gas torch to heat the flange up a bit, find a socket that fits, then tap up from the bottom. That should do the trick.

@DreamChaser7 yours look like they're in pretty good shape!

Here a pic of the freshies from @Paul@RTM

Hope this helps!
Rob
🤘🤘🤘

Mine were so blown out they kind of fell out, LOL.

They do have an outer steel casing. So, I'd (personally) use a propane/Map gas torch to heat the flange up a bit, find a socket that fits, then tap up from the bottom. That should do the trick.

@DreamChaser7 yours look like they're in pretty good shape!

Here a pic of the freshies from @Paul@RTM

Hope this helps!
Rob
🤘🤘🤘
The four raised sections on the outer part on top on mine I can break right off with my fingers it’s time for new ones.

The four raised sections on the outer part on top on mine. I can break right off with my fingers it’s time for new ones.
Yeah, no doubt. Crispy. Haha.

Dude, check this out, I just checked mine and the steel race was still in there. I just took a chisel and caved the one side in. Hope this helps ya! Get after it!

Yeah, no doubt. Crispy. Haha.

Dude, check this out, I just checked mine and the steel race was still in there. I just took a chisel and caved the one side in. Hope this helps ya! Get after it!
Yuck LOL. Sure does thanks.

Last edited:
Just checked the RTM Racing site, seems to be out of stock. RTM Racing says they have some, though.

3D printing in TPU, here we come.

Cool!

Heck yeah, man, 3D is super rad stuff.
Is TPU a high impact plastic, like Delrin?

Actually, TPU stands for "Thermoplastic Urethane". Its advantage in this use case is that it's flexible, so it should do a good job of isolating vibration - the exact thing we're after for these radiator mounts.

Just for fun recently, I made a hood damper (MB270408) in TPU, not because I needed one but because it was easy to get off the car. LOL There are some other plastics that we can use for other stuff. For example, the door-card clip (MU481087) also shown in the photo - that part that all of us break off the first time we disassemble a door. That part is better suited for printing with ASA, which is a hard and UV-resistant styrene.

Actually, TPU stands for "Thermoplastic Urethane". Its advantage in this use case is that it's flexible, so it should do a good job of isolating vibration - the exact thing we're after for these radiator mounts.

Just for fun recently, I made a hood damper (MB270408) in TPU, not because I needed one but because it was easy to get off the car. LOL There are some other plastics that we can use for other stuff. For example, the door-card clip (MU481087) also shown in the photo - that part that all of us break off the first time we disassemble a door. That part is better suited for printing with ASA, which is a hard and UV-resistant styrene.

Very cool, Marty!!! Nice job.
Thanks for the breakdown and the part pics. Love to see that stuff and geek out over mechanical, engineering, and tooling.
I believe the DSM community will have to do exactly what you're doing for the future of parts for these cars...make your own!

Rob

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back