The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Rack and Pinion Rebuild (Removing Inner Rack Seal?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99EclipseOZRally

Probationary Member
Apr 24, 2012
Buffalo, New_York
I have a leaky Rack and Pinion so I decided that I would rebuild it. I used housegsx write up as a reference but there are a couple things that he/she didn't elaborate on so if any one has done the rebuild before I'm inquiring how the hell did you get the Inner Rack seal out?!?!?!?!?

Tried
-Taping (gently)
-Using coat hanger with bent end (careful not to scratch)
-Banging my head against it (now I have a headache):banghead:
-Drinking a beer (Yummm)

There is two "pins" located about half way down the rack but can't figure out how to remove them (with out damaging them).

I attached picture below.

Thanks

Seal

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pins

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nobody has had this issue? Tried pm'ing housegsx no response yet.

So I am now working on doing this same exact rebuild and i was wondering if you have figured out how to do this because I am now at the same stopping point?

I used a slide hammer to get the seal out. I didn't want to chance damaging the pins.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back