The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rack-n-pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakmak

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
Brooklyn, New_York
So I just installed a newly rebuilt rack, the seals were gone on the last one. I noticed that the belts still squeal for aleast 10 seconds after cold start. Also noticed the PS fluid reservoir filled after putting in about quarter of one bottle, and still no PS. I tried turning the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right (while the car was off the ground) to get air out the system but I never saw any bubbles to begin with and the fluid wasn't going down at all...Is it safe to say that the pump is gone? I know it may seem obvious that it is but I just wana be sure I'm not missing anything and before I do the work of changing the pump.

I'm not sure where the bleeder for the rack is either or do I just pull out the return hose?

My 1990 had this problem after I replaced all of the steel lines and rebuilt my rack. I never did figure it out. I had a brand new oem pump on it and everything. My uncle told me to force feed the lines. I never did understand why I would have to do that because it should of worked the way it was designed to.

Yeah its weird but I finally got it to work, PS is back I changed the pump with one from my old engine but I still get the belt squeal for about 10-15 sec after cold start. Anybody know what can be causing this? All the belts are tight on the pulleys. And I know its not the alternator belts cause those are new as well as the alternator. The Squeal sounds like its coming directly from the PS area

It's best to try to find which belt is squealing. Take em off one by one to see if it goes away... When you find it, or just replace all the belts, sand the pulleys before you install new belts. The pulleys get glazed and even a new belt will only grip it for a little. Sand the pulleys where the belts ride on em, and put NEW belts on. If you reuse the old belts, you're gonna have to resand the pulleys, cause the belts get glazed/ruined from slipping on the pulleys. If you freshen up the pulleys but keep the old belts, they'll just slip and reglaze your pulleys. I had the same problem on my truck, and this worked like a charm! Another thing is I've heard the alternator brackets on these cars can bend over time. Check to make sure your pulleys are square with one another.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back