The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Quick SD question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miliman13

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
tampa, Florida
Hey guys I have a few short questions.
I have the option to go with either a Mitsubishi style map sensor or Gm style (with nipple/hose). I have a 6 bolt long block and oddly enough an intake manifold with a 2g style sensor. Weird right.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My question is what would be the better option or benefit?

Second any gm map/ait sensor will work? Saw this on Amazon but couldn't find any info on anyone using it. Appears to be cheaper.
And lastly, I hear some tuners complain that the 3 bar sensor limits boost to about 30. Yet I thought 1 bar = 14.5 psi.
Thanks guys.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0115...ed+density&dpPl=1&dpID=21zoI0dCSEL&ref=plSrch

I use the omni 4 bar haven't tuned much yet buy for 30 plus psi is why i got it and better resolution ecmlink had a list of sensors to use but you shouldn't have any issues with it

Hey guys I have a few short questions.
I have the option to go with either a Mitsubishi style map sensor or Gm style (with nipple/hose). I have a 6 bolt long block and oddly enough an intake manifold with a 2g style sensor. Weird right.

My question is what would be the better option or benefit?

Second any gm map/ait sensor will work? Saw this on Amazon but couldn't find any info on anyone using it. Appears to be cheaper.
And lastly, I hear some tuners complain that the 3 bar sensor limits boost to about 30. Yet I thought 1 bar = 14.5 psi.
Thanks guys.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0115Y5M5C/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1440208536&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=speed density&dpPl=1&dpID=21zoI0dCSEL&ref=plSrch
Go with the gm style stuff . The stock map sensor will not allow you to boost as would the omni 4 bar sensor would.

So just for clarity. I can go with option #1.

Or option #2.

. I was told by some one who tunes for his 9-5. That he's seen( map )sensors fail that are directly mounted on the manifold, vibrations, heat, ect...

But I wanted to hear from you guys. Most of us have only one choice, for some reason I have both choices. Side note, I looked up to see if any 6 bolts ever had that sensor on the manifold and haven't found any, perhaps maybe it could be euro/ect..

I also have a question for you! Where you get that exhaust manifold heat shield! LOL
This is not what I expected from this thread, LOL. No problem. I had alot of heat problems+Florida. So I made my own solution.

I added a turbo heat blanket, also purchase 2000 degree heat blanket, and bolted it to sheet metal I cut and shaped. Yeah I know it looks super professional! But I'm more concerned with results.

So just for clarity. I can go with option #1.

Or option #2.

. I was told by some one who tunes for his 9-5. That he's seen( map )sensors fail that are directly mounted on the manifold, vibrations, heat, ect...

But I wanted to hear from you guys. Most of us have only one choice, for some reason I have both choices. Side note, I looked up to see if any 6 bolts ever had that sensor on the manifold and haven't found any, perhaps maybe it could be euro/ect..
option one considering the map sensor needs to be as close to the intake as possible and further more it eliminate the need for a vacuum line.

option one considering the map sensor needs to be as close to the intake as possible and further more it eliminate the need for a vacuum line.
And slicing up the harness. In leaning toward it.

However, the mdp sensor already makes contact with the DC bars. Here's an added question what does the mdp sensor even do? And I'm assuming it's only necessary with stock maft.

Last edited:
The reason the 3 bar doesn't go above 30psi is because normal air pressure at sea level is 1bar or 14.7psi. Now any boost you add into the turbo goes above that 1bar (14.7psi) so say you're running 30 psi, the sensor is really reading 44.7psi. Now if you think about it that is actually .6psi higher than the sensor should actually be able to read (3bar = 14.7psi X 3 or 44.1psi). That is why some of the people here are saying you should go with a 4bar unit because it allows up to 44.1psi of total boost instead of only 29.4psi. It's simple math that you can figure out yourself to figure out what best suits you. If you plan not to run over 30psi of boost than go with the 3 bar. Basically use the math that I described before to find the best sensor for your application. Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back