The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Quick evo 8 oem intercooler question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst fat

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2007
Miami, Florida
Ok so i know the dimensions on the intercooler, I've heard some positive and negative feedback a's well,I'm currently running one right now with 330whp and have had No issues at all, but I will be going over 400whp within the next two weeks, but no more than 450whp, should I upgrade to a better intercooler or should I be safe with this intercooler

I know that on Evos they upgrade the intercooler cause it doesnt do much good over stock power and we all know you can find IC's for cheap and sell that setup to somebody else...

I know that on Evos they upgrade the intercooler cause it doesnt do much good over stock power and we all know you can find IC's for cheap and sell that setup to somebody else...

Most evo owners don't even change there own oil let alone know when the efficiency of a intercooler is reached.

Most evo owners don't even change there own oil let alone know when the limits of an intercooler's efficiency is reached.

Fixt and +1

Look at how big that core is vs the stock side mount. Its bigger. The stock side mount can handle 300 whp.

Most evo owners don't even change there own oil let alone know when the efficiency of a intercooler is reached.

That's a gross generalization, EVOm is no different than this forum, a handful of clueless, regurgitated misinformation that becomes the stereotype for all of the members.

Look at how big that core is vs the stock side mount. Its bigger. The stock side mount can handle 300 whp.

Have you ever made 300whp on a stock SMIC? Because I have, and for a one gear dyno pull it'll keep up, but at the track on the same tune, knock climbed with every gear up to about 21 counts in 4th.

I don't see much harm in investing in a cheap FMIC (perhaps eBay) and trying that. I see BNIB cores go for 70-90 bucks shipped.

I would say better safe than sorry, doesn't kill to have too big an intercooler.

I never said it was a bad idea as I kept my stock I/C on my Evo IX for a while and had 380awhp... I say go for it since it is a keep upgrade and will work for your power goals..

As said for the evo owners comment changing oil i know all that I have met do all there own work for the most part and why do stereotype like this? Just cause there cars cost more than are doesnt mean anything...

If you wanna run the same piping, some companies make larger intercoolers that bolt right up that are direct replacements for evos

I think it would be worth it. A local evo guys first mods was to replace his intercooler and he has the 6 fastest stock turbo evo in the country

As said for the evo owners comment changing oil i know all that I have met do all there own work for the most part and why do stereotype like this? Just cause there cars cost more than are doesnt mean anything...

price of the car means a whole lot. When the cars are cheaper, alot of younger people (including me) get ahold of them. And young people have no money, and dont know the responsibility of taking care of a car properly. therefore less oil changes and maintenance etc...

I'm sure the Evo forums are only a small percentage of how many Evos there actually are. Most Evo owners don't work on their own cars whatsoever, they pay for EVERYTHING. They are the people who want speed but have no skills, so they buy it. I kind of would rather have something like an Evo that is more warranted and ~300 hp than try to make a 20 year old car ~300 hp with myself to be responsible of something goes wrong. I would just never get one until they come out with a coupe Evo. I don't want a ~300 hp sedan.

I'm sure the Evo forums are only a small percentage of how many Evos there actually are. Most Evo owners don't work on their own cars whatsoever, they pay for EVERYTHING. They are the people who want speed but have no skills, so they buy it. I kind of would rather have something like an Evo that is more warranted and ~300 hp than try to make a 20 year old car ~300 hp with myself to be responsible of something goes wrong. I would just never get one until they come out with a coupe Evo. I don't want a ~300 hp sedan.

There you go. Evo owners pay for their stuff, lots of DSMrs try not to pay for things. one reason being lots are younger, becuase young people like me can afford them. Thats why I got one in the first place, becuase It was a fast car and it was on the cheap side. I bought my first one when I was 16! But now it has turned into a whole different story :)

And most Evo owners are teenage spoiled brats who had the car bought for them. I'd imagine because of some sort of incestuous fellatio happening to dads. My first car was a damn Cavalier. I was my sister's husband's car that was given to me for $2,500 and it was more like a loan situation. More and more kids are getting faster and newer cars and learning to drive on them, and then of course they crash and everyone else's rates go up.

well im am using a ev8 i/c and have made 396hp 365lbs of torque at 22psi on pump gas with a e316g. i then tried out a s362 and car flat lined at 5k to 8k right at 450hp at the same boost level. the stock evo cores support 400hp but dont expect much more than that. this is on my mirage with stock 6bolt motor,2g head with evo3 intake manny and support mods with link and 280 cams.

bastard dsm said:
well im am using a ev8 i/c and have made 396hp 365lbs of torque at 22psi on pump gas with a e316g. i then tried out a s362 and car flat lined at 5k to 8k right at 450hp at the same boost level. the stock evo cores support 400hp but dont expect much more than that. this is on my mirage with stock 6bolt motor,2g head with evo3 intake manny and support mods with link and 280 cams.

Very good to hear your Evo 3 IM is doing you well. :thumb:

How significant was the heat soaking with the S362?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back