The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Question About Running Wideband While Deleting Rear O2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT_4G63

Proven Member
Mar 23, 2021
Saugerties, New_York
I am about to install my Innovate LC2 into my 2G Spyder GST. I am going to continue to run the factory narrowband O2 sensor in the factory position, so I will not be simulating narrowband in ECMLink.

The 3" turbo-back exhaust system I have installed has an extra bung welded about 24" after the turbo in the downpipe which I am going to use for the LC2's O2 Sensor. I still have my rear O2 sensor in working order in the factory location as well. However, my catalytic converter is deleted. Additionally, I'm not on Speed Density yet, so I'm still using a MAF and all the associated sensors/inputs in ECMLink.

With both the factory O2 sensors installed and working, I do not have enough available inputs in ECMLink to add the LC2 Wideband as well. My initial plan was to delete the rear O2, plug the open bung, and use the Rear O2 ECU input for my wideband.

Can I do that and leave the factory rear O2 plug on the vehicle harness side in the cabin under the driver seat plugged into nothing? Obviously my LC2 Wideband signal will be wired into the ECU as it is supposed to be.

My question is this: do I no longer need a rear O2 sensor because I no longer have a catalytic converter? and if so, how do I safely delete it in order to free up an ECU input in ECMLink so I can install and log a wideband signal?

Thank you

Solution
Remove the rear o2 sensor and unplug it. Yes, you can just leave it under the seat and install the cap in the exhaust bung.

After tapping into the correct ecu pin with your wbo2 signal wire go into ecm link and check the box for lock rear o2. I think it’s under the misc tab. You also need to tell it where to find the wbo2 and click on which wbo2 sensor you are running so you can log it. It’s been a little while since I’ve done this.

-Daniel
Remove the rear o2 sensor and unplug it. Yes, you can just leave it under the seat and install the cap in the exhaust bung.

After tapping into the correct ecu pin with your wbo2 signal wire go into ecm link and check the box for lock rear o2. I think it’s under the misc tab. You also need to tell it where to find the wbo2 and click on which wbo2 sensor you are running so you can log it. It’s been a little while since I’ve done this.

-Daniel

Solution
Can confirm Daniel explained it spot on. Also I recommend finding a fitting rubber grommet (without a hole) and gluing it with some RTV in the hole where the factory rear O2 cable passed through the chassis. Unless you want water to get on your carpet and floor. As for the pin, for a 2G ECU it's pin #75 (Rear O2 signal), which is white and you tap into that. #76 is for the front O2 so make sure you don't confuse them like I did, because they are right next to each other and both white!

Thanks for the info, and good tip on plugging the O2 sensor hole.

I was concerned that the ECU would continue to power the “Rear O2 Heater” pinout, thus keeping the “hot” wire inside the O2 plug under my seat energized and creating a fire hazard.

I cut my o2 sensor wire about 10 inches away from the ecu plug. Then connected my wbo2 signal wire to it. Thus leaving the other end running to the rear o2 sensor plug with just a butt connector on it and zip tied to the harness. So I didn’t “tap” into the wire I cut it and then connected my new wire to the ecu pin.

I’ve been running like this for quite sometime with no ill effects. I didn’t want to just tie into the line with the other side still connected and back feed the wire and get bad readings. Not sure how other people have done it though.

-Daniel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back