The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved Pulley/Harmonic Balancer Noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW96GST

Probationary Member
Mar 24, 2015
Pendleton, Oregon
Hi guys, I recently bought a 100% stock (minus the wheels) '96 GST.

It made the 4.5 hour drive home fine, although I did notice some excessive road noise (I'll get the tires checked out after this is solved) and then this type of clicking? I'll try to post a youtube video shortly after this. I showed the video to a friend and he couldn't hear what I was talking about so I'm not sure how helpful it will be.

I read up on it and from the reading I think it's one of the pulleys, or the harmonic dampener

I got under the car today and noticed a small gash in the splash guard that protects all the belts, I'll include a picture. Noticed one of the belts to be slightly frayed, and an oily mess by the oil filter. Any ideas on what all that oil is from?

I was looking to get others opinions on the harmonic dampener. There was a little piece of plastic inside of it, I'll throw pictures up so there is a visual. I've read about them separating so my question was is this a sign of it starting to go?

In the first link the whirring noise cuts out at the last 2-3 seconds. In the next video I rev it to make it a little louder.

Thanks for the input!

Youtube Video links are:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know this is like a year later, but my 97 gst is making that exact same noise from that spot. After a little while of driving it starts to make noise, gets progressively louder as I rev. Did it turn out to be the harmonic balancer?

I know this post is 4 years old, but I was wondering if the noise was ever solved with the harmonic balancer replacement. I have that same noise, rpm dependent, and it’s driving me crazy. Any help would go a long way. Thanks.

In the original OP video it looks like the AC compressor making the noise to me. Would also explain why it quit. Take the belts off and run it for a sec. Rule things out one at a time

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back