The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Problems with cylinder 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtincher22085

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2010
Rockland, Maine
I don't know if this is the right place to be asking this but I have a delema. I made a pull today and my car started to lope I pulled at 20 psi my signature says whats done to my dsm. I have spark, I have fuel , I have compressionbut no fire the piston is moving the plug out there is compression. heres the weird part oil is coming out the exhaust port.Can the HG be the culprit? what test should I do to confirm HG or Ring? thaks any help in the right direction would be the greatest.

30 psi on a 16g with 560s and no tuning? You ran wayyyyy lean and most likely melted something. Do a compression test. If it fails then you need to pull stuff apart and do a rebuild.

30 psi on a 16g with 560s and no tuning? You ran wayyyyy lean and most likely melted something. Do a compression test. If it fails then you need to pull stuff apart and do a rebuild.
It was 20 psi and I have an afc set at +3 % its a single knob. Thats probably the problem. why it leaned out.

I am in the process of tearing it down. I will be doing a compression check to confirm before i take the head off of course. :ohdamn: I feel like a dumb ass. i knew my pcv valve wasn't working correctly and I floored it and it spiked past 25. my turbo is good still and the oil is deff coming from the inside of the head where the valvse are I will post pics as i go along.

Before you take anything apart do a compression AND a leakdown test. This will help you diagnose the problem before it's taken apart. If you pull it down and there is no obvious problem you will be left scratching your head unless you do a leakdown.

Before you take anything apart do a compression AND a leakdown test. This will help you diagnose the problem before it's taken apart. If you pull it down and there is no obvious problem you will be left scratching your head unless you do a leakdown.
I did the compression test it was 0 on #1 I checked the other cylinders and they were healthy 150ish so I have to tear into it to see it for my self. I will post PICS of my findings. regaurdless oil out the exhaust with no fire is rings or F'ed up piston.

A compression test will tell you that there is a problem. A leakdown will tell you what the problem is. In your post you asked what tests you could do.

Oil in the chambers could come from many sources, but that coupled with zero compression narrows it down to the piston or rings (assuming there is only one problem). However, there is also the possibility that other things are damaged such as bent valves, cracked guides, bad HG, and a leakdown test would tell you.

here is my masterpiece
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

spiked 30 psi and fuel pressure dropped ooooouch EPIC FAIL

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back