The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Pre-intercooler Nitrous placement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewTurboTuner

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2006
Rslv, Arkansas
Has anyone installed their Nitrous Nozzle Pre-intercooler before?
I sent a couple emails to NX and those tards aren't getting back to me:mad:

I've had juice on 4 of my cars, and all very successfully. I know how to tune it, and I'm real comfortable with it, but I never heard of anybody doing what I'm about to ask.

Here's what I'm thinking about.
1 of 2 things, or maybe even both?

The 1st idea is to spray a 10-15HP Dry shot, and install the nozzle right before the intercooler in the LICP. This is to cool the turbo air to get cooler intake temps letting me run more boost and timing.....just like a water/alky/meth/whatever ya wanna call it kit would do. The theory I have is that a frosty cold Nitrous shot should cool intake temps better than any of the water/alky/meth mixes will. I'll gain a little HP from the added oxygen, but the main reason behind this is to cool intake temps so I can run more boost & Fuel.

The other idea is the same.... to install the nitrous nozzle PRE-intercooler, BUT with a WET kit! (Oh you're thinking I'm crazy, and it won't work huh?) ...Well the 2 nozzle will be split up. The 1st Frosty cold Nitrous nozzle will be installed Pre-intercooler, and The Fuel Nozzle will be installed right in front of the TB. THIS idea is to gain power from the Nitrous/fuel mix, but at the same time (by having the n2o nozzle pre-intercooler) I will still gain the added benefit of the chilled intercooler air.

I really think it will have a awesome cooling effect on the intake temps if I can plum the n2o pre-intercooler. I "think" it will be OK to plum the Nitrous PRE-intercooler because the nitrous will be exposed to the hot turbo air, and it will stay in gas form... heck it might even turn to gas faster because of the hotter turbo air... so there is no chance for it to pool up inside the intercooler. I cant think of any reason this would not be OK, but I've never heard of anyone doing this before... so I thought I'd ask 1st.

I already have a water/meth kit, but I don't know anything about it. I've been tuning Nitrous since 99.... so I've already got alot of spare parts/kits that I can use. Also if you ask me Nitrous is cooler:cool: , and it colder:cool: both of those are added befits.

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE?
Let me know what you think

Thanks!:thumb:
~SteveB

As far as effeciencies go, a bigger intercooler is the best method.
Currently what is your calculated effeciency?
You must already know this because how can you try to make something better if you don't know it's current drawbacks?
So you have already installed a pyrometer (or aftermarket IAT sensor) fore and aft of your intercooler and have those values calculated.

Apply this logic when you get those values:
Suppose your compressor discharge temp is 200 deg above Atmosphere temp. That is about 740 deg (Absolute zero on an 80 deg day, absolute zero = 480 + 80 + 200).
If you have an intercooler that is 70% effecient (On the high end), you will remove 140 deg (.7 X 200) Leaving a gain of just 60 deg instead of 200.
The density change can then be determined:Density change = original Absolute/final absaloute - 1 OR (740 deg /600 deg)-1 = 23%
Meaning that 23% more air molecules will be in the engine than if it wasn't intercooled.
But you have to include the added drag of the intercooler and I'll spare you the math, but at 2 lbs loss, figure in 10%.
At best a 70 % effecient intercooler adds 13% more air into the engine.

How much do you think a few degrees will move that %?
I think the heat from the compressor will not be effected by a 10 shot. And unless you are measuring the temps you will never know how much cooling you are actually doing.

Aside from that, your talking about spraying a very volatile gas within inches of a super hot turbo.
What is the combustability level of Nitrous? A diesel engine is around 22:1 (correct?) So Diesel will explode inside the chamber because of the comprssion, not a spark. If nitrous is the same way (I have no idea), keep in mind you are sending it through some very thin tubing before it gets to the chamber.

Good Luck! I hope it works and I hope you have some useful data in regards to the temps when it's all said and done. Ya never know...
:thumb:

95talon_in_ma said:
Aside from that, your talking about spraying a very volatile gas within inches of a super hot turbo.
What is the combustability level of Nitrous? A diesel engine is around 22:1 (correct?) So Diesel will explode inside the chamber because of the comprssion, not a spark. If nitrous is the same way (I have no idea),

Nitrous is an oxidizer, not a fuel. It won't burn. You can get it as hot or cold as you want and it won't burn.

thekellbeast said:
Nitrous is an oxidizer, not a fuel. It won't burn. You can get it as hot or cold as you want and it won't burn.

Thanx. Makes sense. I did a search and read an article and I sware I knew this stuff in the past... Sucks gettin older....

Also in my search I found this article I thought was hilarious. Apparently surgery has an inherent danger with colon combustability because of the nitrous used for anestesia. So after your knee surgery if you find out you have no colon left, you'll know why...

http://www.studentbmj.com/issues/02/05/education/139.php

;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back