The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Power Steering Wire Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeclipse7782

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2004
Worcester, Massachusetts
What does the wire that connects to the top of the power steering pump do? If it wasn't connected what would happen?

Thanks,
-Brian

Good question. I just recently removed my PS and I was wondering what to do with the wire. I might just tape it to the harness but Im not sure if any CEL's or anything will be thrown due to it not being plugged in.

Someone help us both out.

I believe it tells the ECU that you are turning so that it can open up the ISC motor a little more so you don't stall. Have you ever noticed that when you are sitting in a driveway with the car on and you turn the steering wheel the RPMs drop then go back up? That is what it is doing.

It connects to the pressure switch that's inside the pump. Although I can't tell you what the function of the switch is for....but would imagine it has to do with the speed sensitive portion of the system, however, don't quote me on that.

It is to bump up the idle so it doesn't stall at low speeds. Running DSMlink in my EVO, turning the wheel while parked would bring on a mean idle surge in cold weather. ;) Everyone running this configuration removes that wire to prevent this problem, and there don't seem to be any problems without it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back