The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Power Steering Belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KalimmaK

Probationary Member
Aug 2, 2014
Wichita, Kansas
So my power steering belt doesn't fit anymore im not sure why... im using a 1g head on a 2g block on the new engine I just put in... but the PS attaches to the block so there shouldn't be any differences there.... this is super frustrating... May just run no PS if it keeps this up LOL

Im just curious as to why this oem belts not fitting... that and ive gotten all I got into the car at this point. no more money Lol need it to run so I can get back to working so I can dump more money into it... so im close to dumping the PS til then..

I have a vague recollection about the water pump pulley being reversible... or maybe it was the ps pulley... or maybe I'm completely off my rocker. Maybe one of those is backwards and causing your fitment problem? I swear I ran into something like this once... sigh, getting old.

Tensioners all the way out im doing a test run when I get a few vacuum caps n put the radiator in. the assembly is down to the T almost certain.. im starting thinking that there mustve been something different between the new block n the old block..

Did you ever get to check the water pump pulley? Its not to hard to get it onto the smaller one out of the two, I was thinking that you cant reverse it by mistake with out the pulley hitting the frame.

There are 3 bolts on mine that keeps tension on the PS pump. 2 in the pulley itself and one by the dipstick. If all 3 are loosened slightly, the PS pump will raise up enough to get the belt on. If you loosen the two in the pulley too much, the bolt head will stop the pump from raising up enough to get the belt on.

Yeah the problem though is my belts a mile too long and that's with all tensions way out
Did you ever get to check the water pump pulley? Its not to hard to get it onto the smaller one out of the two, I was thinking that you cant reverse it by mistake with out the pulley hitting the frame.
Wait so it goes on the bigger of he two?.. im looking the pulley diagram and I thought PS hooks into the smaller inner pulley...

Yep, that's where you messed up.

The inside pulley is where the PS belt goes on. The outside is for the alternator. I don't think you can reverse them with out one of them not being on though.

I found this picture online. Should explain everything.

http://img.tapatalk.com/6b1f01c7-dacf-faf8.jpg

Even though it should be kind of easy to tell I'll explain anyway. The crank pulley spins the alternator belt which spins the ilder (which bolts directly to the water pump as well) pulley. So if the alternator belt breaks you don't have power steering, any coolant flowing, and obviously your car will not be charging the battery.

The AC belt goes from the inside of the crank pulley and around the pump then to the tensioner pulley. If it breaks oh well, you just don't have AC til you replace it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back