The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Porting as maintenance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airsign89

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2011
troy, Michigan
Hello fellow members:
I bought my car off of someone that had already installed a 14b and thus am including this post in the maintenance because it is so with my car...anyways getting past that point, I have spent nearly two hours on my turbine and turbine outlet(o2 outlet?), and this is what it looks like. Oh and my flapper used to open at most 60 degrees, it now opens 90 degrees and I think that will be the biggest help in my boost creep. Nay?

and the outlet

Attachments

• Porting.jpg
    Porting.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Outlet.jpg
    Outlet.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 45
Hate to say it but it doesnt look like you accomplished much. You still have that ring. When I port my turbine housings I take the lip out and port that thickness all the way down. I take out the wall before the flapper hole.

Example of my 20g housing I ported:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Porting a bigger and smoother transition into the flapper hole will prevent creep.

May I ask why your porting? Top end performance or boost creep?

TJCTalon: Yeah, Im only two hours in, so Im not done and yeah the ring is still there, but Im mostly worried about hitting 19psi when my fuel system is only adequate 15-16psi. It does make it easier to see the amount of work that is needed with a picture, so thank you for posting that pic that does look very sexy...well as far as porting and polishing goes.

Last edited:
Back when I first started porting I was like you, I ported behind the flapper arm thinking it would allow the flapper to open more. But later I found out that the wastegate it self only pushes the flapper open about 45 degrees. If you use an air source and hook it up to the wastegate you'll see what I mean.

Focus mainly on the inside, leading to the flapper hole.

sorry the reason why I am porting is because of major boost creep.

Got it, my last post was posted before the one where you explained exactly what I was thinking and needed to know. Yeah some of the more frequently asked questions have talked about how the path to the o2 vs. the turbine is the most important part of reducing/eliminating boost creep. Hey, thank you. And Ill post pictures up in a couple hours to show you the work Ive done, Oh and hows the 20g feel, I used to have a stage 2 HRC kit on my neon ACR, with a super 16g(yeah, its kinda old school tech, but in 2000 it was cool)?

Yeah...TJCTalon, I probally have like four hours left, which kinda sucks as I have my my VRSF sitting in front of me. Patience is a virtue...?

Attachments

• 072011104659.jpg
    072011104659.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 67
Very good choice on the vrsf FMIC. Thats what I run and I love it.

My 20g is not installed yet. But It should hit much harder then the ported 14b thats on now. With work and school Ive had no time to work on my car. It sucks, I have the turbo set up in my room waiting to go in. I look at it every morning.

4 hours left?? You must be using a dremel. When I first ported my 14b, I used a generic rotary tool and it took me hours upon hours to get rid of the ring and open up the path to the wastegate. This past January, I picked up an actual die grinder along with a carbide burr to port a holset turbine housing, and it is a night and day difference. If I'm not careful, I would grind away TOO much material in short order. It simply eats away much faster, and the grinder doesn't slow down when putting pressure on the tip, like dremels or rotary tools tend to. It cost me a little bit more, but it has more than paid for itself as I find more and more uses for it.

Yeah I have an electrical drill that I mounted a carbide bit on, unfortunately its a battery type where it has about thirty minutes of good use then goes slower and slower, then two hours of charging, minimum, thirty minutes of grinding etc etc. I just got off work and am just starting the process. I work with my hands so after 7 hours at work I'm not thrilled to have to continue this, but oh well, I want it done. And yeah TCJTalon, Im pretty happy just looking at the VRSP intercooler, I'm slightly worried about heating issues, as the only mod(if you could call it that) to my cooling system is water wetter.

Patience most definitely is a virtue. I bought my vrsf front mount December 2010 and didn't install it until just last month. A little warning though, if you are going to use the stock foglight mounting holes, I suggest you get yourself a couple of m6x1.0 bolts that are 50 mm long. The ones supplied with the kit will not work without drilling and tapping the hole.

As far as the porting goes I used an air die grinder. Took a couple of hours to port and polish

And the battery for my drill is dead again, man I need to invest in airtools...Agarc023, thanks for the tip, did you just buy those at Home depot or somewhere similiar, or did you go somewhere else. Oh and I'm doing the beginner thing where I buy a car and the third day of owning it I tear it apart and buy an intercooler, port and polish the turbo, install a MBC and datalogger at the same time, instead of doing the wiser thing of a part at a time, do it all at the same time. Oh and man I would go insane having to wait that long and stare at a part everyday.

You're welcome. It wasn't something I was prepared for, so it was a PITA to have to stop everything and go on a hunt for bolts. I tried Home Depot, but they didn't have anything longer than 30 mm, so I had to get them from Lowe's.

Waiting is not so bad if you don't have the part somewhere where you see it everyday. I left mine in the garage and it would still be there if my t25 hadn't gone out.

Well I got a new drill bit that is definitely proving more effective, the only problem is that my drill keeps on slipping on it, IE the part that holds it in place is starting to slip when I really start to get material out of there. But oh well, its happening, after I get off work tomorrow afternoon, I should finish and then re-install it and start taking off the front bumper, trimming it, and then after I get all of my intercooler stuff done, I have my fuel pump, etc etc. Yay! Thanks everybody for responding and the input.

Harbour Freight has some pretty decent die grinders and you can rent an air compressor at Home Depot if you don't have a buddy that has one. Believe me It'll speed it up and your hands will thank you.

sorry the reason why I am porting is because of major boost creep.

Got it, my last post was posted before the one where you explained exactly what I was thinking and needed to know. Yeah some of the more frequently asked questions have talked about how the path to the o2 vs. the turbine is the most important part of reducing/eliminating boost creep. Hey, thank you. And Ill post pictures up in a couple hours to show you the work Ive done, Oh and hows the 20g feel, I used to have a stage 2 HRC kit on my neon ACR, with a super 16g(yeah, its kinda old school tech, but in 2000 it was cool)?

Yeah...TJCTalon, I probally have like four hours left, which kinda sucks as I have my my VRSF sitting in front of me. Patience is a virtue...?

I spy a guitar hero controller in there!

BigBird94: good eyes man. I haven't played in a long time, my hands and arms get ruined in the summer from working crazy hours. Paching: I will definitely check for one in my area, I've heard the name and can almost recall there being one, but I'm not positive, thanks for the info.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back