The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Pop hard knock when turning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baymax

Probationary Member
Jul 26, 2018
Taylorsville, Kentucky
I bought a 98 GSX last August that I intend to turn into a track/autox car. I recently put a set of 255/40/17 re71r tires on it with feal 441s on swift springs and took it to it's second autox.

Crap for pavement with terrible traction being a sealed lot, I was launching hard (much harder than I should have, but I needed to find the weak points). And broke a driver lower ball joint. Replaced the control arm, test drove and took it around a sharp corner and it felt like it was broken again, loud pop and felt like the car shifted an inch or two to the side. Does it in both directions. So I thought, sounds like an axle. Lifted the car, axles seem fine, control arms and all suspension seem find, but when I grabbed the driveshaft and rocked it back and forth there's a lot of slop and sounds clicky? My buddy is thinking center diff/front diff but isn't sure.

Tl/Dr launched my shit too hard, pops now, is there an easy way to check diffs without pulling the trans?

Current mod list: MAP 4G63, stage 2, 6 bolt 2.01 block
- wiseco pistons
- ACL race bearings
- MAP connecting rods
MAP STAGE 2 HEAD
-MAP valves -supertech valve seals
-Ferrea valve guides
- Brian Crower springs and retainers
-ARP head studs
Gates timing before
Hks purple adjustable cam gears
Brian Crower stage 2 272 camshafts
Map ef1 turbo upgrade
Act xt clutch Koyo oversized racing radiator Hallman pro manual boost controller
Injen intake and filter
Rm racing sway bars
Stage 2 awd transmission rebuild by Shepherd transmission
Greddy type s bov
Perrin performance oil catch can and coolant overflow tank
Aem air/fuel radio gauge, vdo boost and oil pressure gauge (have aem that will swap soon)
Force performance race manifold
Thermal 3" catback
Agp full race fmic Pte 680cc fuel injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Megan racing downpipe
Symbroski solid shift kit
B&m short throw shifter
Russell SS brake lines
Feal441 coilovers with swift springs
Ingall camber kits
Dynamat through entire vehicle
UNGO sr9000 security systems
Dsm V3 ecu

So if your driveshaft has a lot of slop in it, from side to side, it'd make sense to me that the carrier bearing is blown. That being bad will allow your driveshaft to move in all directions without control. Where did you grab the driveshaft, and where is the slop/motion?

If you want to find out what the problem is disconnect your driveshaft and try to rotate the transfer case and rear diff by hand. While your there inspect all the parts. Your driveshaft shouldn't be moving by hand so check your carrier bearings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back