The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Poor highschool kids 91 tsi build!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostjnkee

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2011
Corriganville, Maryland
Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at a build thread now that i'm officially a proven member! woo! LOL, but anyway... I'm a senior at the Center for Career and Technical education here in Western Maryland. I'm in the Auto Collision and Welding/Metal Tech classes. I've always been interested in cars, but it's been hard to get into them because my parent's have NO interest in them WHATSOEVER. I mean no garage, and a very poor tool collection. But luckily, i got in with the right crowd and now i have some good friends that know there stuff that are there to help me whenever i need it. I started off with a 92 civic hatch. I painted it at school, did all proper maintenance then realized that fwd blows haha. Just so happens that a good friend of mine was parting out his 91 tsi awd! so i ditched the hatch, sold everything i own, saved all my money and picked up his car, along with most of his parts. :D Best choice i've ever made haha. I'm working on finding a garage to take the car, and some more funding, but i'll show you guys some pics of what I have so far! But before, i'll show you my goals etc...

Power goal: I'm shooting for around 500awhp.

E/T goal: since i have NO track experience, im going to start with 12's. But my main goal is low 11's.

Fuel: Pump gas

How the car will be used: Street car, little to no track time until i graduate, get a decent job, and can afford to break. haha

Plans from start to finish (all opinions good/bad will be appreciated!)

1. The car has already been stripped down, all bushings and suspension stuff has been taken care of. My job is mainly to get this bad boy moving. The bay has been cleaned well and touched up.

2. Get the motor together. I have a built bottom end (6 bolt, je/eagle set up, stock crank, and i need to buy bearings. Plan on going with acl race.) The head i have is stock, but i plan on getting some cams and valve springs/retainers. I've been looking at kiggly beehives and kelford 272's, but they are priceeyyy. All arp hardware, and im going to go with the oem multilayer metal head gasket. All maintenance has been taken car of such as oil/water pump, gaskets, and balance shafts eliminated. Need to get the bottom end together, torque the head down.

3. Transmission.... STOCK =/ I have two stock trans, i understand a built on is HIGHLY recommended but im broke now. So it has to wait. Hopefully a stock one will be okay for street driving for a while. I'm going to get an act fly wheel, and I have a 2900 and unsprung 4 puck disk. Stock axles, stock driveshaft, 4 bolt rear end.

4. EMS and Fuel... I got super lucky with an awesome deal on AEM! It's version 1, but will certainly get the job done. My tank has a sump, and im going to run 2 external walbro 255's, a fuel lab filter, magnus fuel rail, and fic 1600's.

4. Intake/Turbo set up will include a t4 vband gt3582r, Dark performance t4 manifold (ti heat wrapped), tial mvr44, tial q bov, custom front mount with 3in inlet and 3in out, 3 in ic piping, im going to go with 3 in exhaust, jmf smin, and im not sure about a throttle body yet. Probably a ported 1g nt.

5. As far as tuning goes, I plan on taking the car to TPG tuning. I heard nate is a super cool guy, and it's only about an hour and a half away.

Now for the pictures :)

Will post more pictures of the stuff i have so far, but my phone just died, so ill do it later!

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I love builds like this. It shows that even when struggling, people are dedicated.

I love builds like this. It shows that even when struggling, people are dedicated.

Thanks man, I have such a passion for these cars. Sold my tv, my xbox, and my guitar to pay for parts LOL. I'll do my best to update this as much as possible! :)

I like this build thread already. I started out where you are- in highschool. I had no tools (had to borrow from friends), had little to no money, very little experience. It's all about sticking with it and never giving up. :) Good luck!

I like this build thread already. I started out where you are- in highschool. I had no tools (had to borrow from friends), had little to no money, very little experience. It's all about sticking with it and never giving up. :) Good luck!

Lol thanks man, i've never driven this car and I love it already. You won't be seeing a part out from this guy anytime soon. Anytime i start to loose motivation, i sit in it and back on track i go haha.

Some of the stuff i have so far. AEM v1, the 35r, and so on came with the car, and is currently sitting in the car. Like i said, plenty more pictures to come!

Attachments

• IMG129.jpg
    IMG129.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 137
Copied my build thread title ):

Looking good, keep up the good work.

LOL yeahhh im sorry! haha, after i made mine i was looking through some of them and saw yours. I was like aaahhh poop. haha. But thanks man, yours looks good too!

Im in the same boat as you, poor high school student myself these cars can get expensive but after my build, only advice is do it right the first time, dont buy cheap parts and just take your time and read a lot of forums. Message me if you need some help

Pretty big houses for poor people

That's at my friends who i got it from. And even if it was mine LOL, just because my parents would have money doesn't mean i get any of it. I have to work for everything i have, it blows. But my parents say it builds character haha. So i guess we'll see.

Im in the same boat as you, poor high school student myself these cars can get expensive but after my build, only advice is do it right the first time, dont buy cheap parts and just take your time and read a lot of forums. Message me if you need some help

Thanks dude, and yeah i've learned that doing things just good enough to get them done isn't the right way to go about things. Im going to take my time, buy legit parts, and do it the way it's suppose to be done, the first time i do it.

Im super excited for you man. I am in a sorta similar situation. 20 years old supporting a wife and a soon to be here little baby girl in Feb. All on a very small monthly salary. And guess what, I have a beautiful 96 gst =D. I have been slowly putting piece at a time on it. Just installed evo3 16g act 2600lb pressure plate stage 2 clutch new flywheel(thinking im getting crank walk=( also FMIC. Previously installed 190 wally, fuel rail, mbc, headers, cat back, but all stock internals X0 . Im so excited to take it to the track on Dec 3rd! Ive had it for a whole year and have yet to run her. My future goal is to build a 6bolt block with 2nd gen head, dsm link it and try to tag 400whp. Wish me luck! I get about 50 bucks a month to go tward my car ^^ so weel see what happens!

I totally wanted to buy this shell. I ended up getting another panda and putting a 10 point in it, but yours is definitly one of the cleanest around. A lot of the parts he had for sale along with the shell, looks like were bought by yourself as well. It's funny cause our 1G's are going to be pretty much identical. Both 1G panda's, both tinted lights, both in MD, both 35R setup's, both badass.. I'm shooting for low.......low....10's with this setup. How far are you from Balitmore?

Im super excited for you man. I am in a sorta similar situation. 20 years old supporting a wife and a soon to be here little baby girl in Feb. All on a very small monthly salary. And guess what, I have a beautiful 96 gst =D. I have been slowly putting piece at a time on it. Just installed evo3 16g act 2600lb pressure plate stage 2 clutch new flywheel(thinking im getting crank walk=( also FMIC. Previously installed 190 wally, fuel rail, mbc, headers, cat back, but all stock internals X0 . Im so excited to take it to the track on Dec 3rd! Ive had it for a whole year and have yet to run her. My future goal is to build a 6bolt block with 2nd gen head, dsm link it and try to tag 400whp. Wish me luck! I get about 50 bucks a month to go tward my car ^^ so weel see what happens!

It's awesome to see people so dedicated to these cars! And honestly man, 6 bolts hold power very well. 400 is totally feasible on a stock bottom end. just get a set of cams, and a nice turbo set up. You'd be pushing that 16g to its limits from what i understand at 400whp, so maybe think of an hx35? pretty cheap and larger than a 16g. Just a thought. But yeah dude, good luck at the track! I can't wait until mines ready, and good luck with the baby girl!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back