The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Please help! what is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefbrown12014

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2016
Pittsburg, California
What would cause this?!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Idels very low...500rpms...
Needs gas pedal to start.
Starts up fine without gas pedal once warmed up.
Turns over fine.
Blinking happens when i am on the gas.
...but sometimes blinks when im off gas.
Engine light, P0300, multiple misfiring cyclinders.
Coils, and wires already changed by me.
Coukd this be ecu?

She is a 97 eclipse gsx. Stock turboed 4g63.

Just because the oreillys free test came back good doesnt always mean your out of the woods. Had similar issues with an aftermarket alternator on my truck. Had the parts store warranty so they wouldnt replace it without it testing bad on their tester. Kept coming back good but when I checked the voltage with my multimeter it was always low at idle. Just sucked it up and bought another one and the problem was fixed. Moral of the story is dont rely only on those keyboard robots at the parts store

The power levels has never dropped and engine power has stayed constantly normal. Idle is rough and the blinking. She has also started overheating....which might be unrelated...not sure.

Alternator would cauae that? My last car...who alternator went bad...wouldnt stay charged and would lost power when drawing more electrical power. None of that happens here. Someone suggested i check the crank postion sensor.

Looks like a voltage regulator to me. And since its internal to the alternator, I agree that replacing the alternator seems like the most likely fix.

I will just need the alt and the fuse if i go that route? Why a galant alt over one for the gsx?

It's has a higher output (90amps) than the stock alternator Mitsubishi used on the 2G's from the factory 75amps.

I will just need the alt and the fuse if i go that route? Why a galant alt over one for the gsx?
exactly what mello said, these are a great upgrade for minimal cost, in some cases the galant alternators are gonna be cheeper then dsm ones, It's the GSX tax LOL, if you want to save some ca$h you can even get this unit from a junkyard and get the fuse there too, as long as it is not blown, and get a bargain deal on a used oem unit, which in many cases, tend to last a lot longer then parts store units.

galant alternator ftw. 90a direct bolt on no modification necessary. great for if you have extra draw in your system. make sure you go to napa for it too don't get sucked into the advanced auto etc units

The power levels has never dropped and engine power has stayed constantly normal. Idle is rough and the blinking. She has also started overheating....which might be unrelated...not sure.

Alternator would cauae that? My last car...who alternator went bad...wouldnt stay charged and would lost power when drawing more electrical power. None of that happens here. Someone suggested i check the crank postion sensor.
overheating ? when idling or driving ...maybe because the fans are't getting enough power or the fan motor is on the way out and causing an electrical problem ...worth checking to see if functioning ok ...my 2 cents LOL

Hey if you have not tried yet I strongly recommend the alternator. I had a very similar experience. Many arguments with oreilys and testing all kinds of parasitic draw on my battery. I just bit the bullet and did the galant swap and 100 percent fixed my issue. Yes every case is different but I know the headache I went through..driving at night was honestly embarrassing. Good luck man.

Any difference in 1g and 2g alternators electrical connections ? What about this 96-98 galant, is it direct fit, plug and play?

The electrical connections are different between 1g and 2g cars so 96-98 galant won't work as is... ...well not without hacking a 1G electrical connector, but there are a few options you can use if you have a 1G there is a 90 amp 1G unit that was used on the "91-"92 Galant vr4 and many auto trans equipped 1g cars had the 90 amp unit too,I recently discovered another commonly seen vehicle, that happens to have an internally regulated [with the same 1G connector], 110 amp unit and a 130 amp unit, that might work on our 1G cars, but i'm not sure if it will clear all the belts and the frame yet, I'll share the info when I test fit it in my 1G.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back