The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Piston ring and Bore size help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaetosgsx

Probationary Member
Aug 8, 2010
San Jose, Central_America
Hello, I am replacing the rings and bearings in my 7 bolt block (95 eclipse gst) and today I measured the top of my cylinder 2 and 3 and there is a small difference from the top of the bore to about half inch below...

Question...

1. Is this normal?
2. I measured 85.10, 84.67 and 85.00 in the same piston, I believe that I am stock bore.
3. My piston 1 which is raised all the way to the block face has minimal play... this lead me to measure to see if I need to machine the block... Is this normal?

Appreciate the help. DSM noob here.

If your measuring the piston skirt you need a micrometer, a caliper is no where near accurate enough for that kind of work. Also its normal for the skirt to be larger in certain areas and smaller in others such as towards the top of the piston.

If your measuring the piston skirt you need a micrometer, a caliper is no where near accurate enough for that kind of work. Also its normal for the skirt to be larger in certain areas and smaller in others such as towards the top of the piston.
Is the shaft play at the top normal, the pistons at the bottom are rock solid... but at top... wiggle minimal... very minimal.

My fault, I thought you were measuring the bores.

To measure pistons you need a 3-4” micrometer that reads to .0001”.

The pistons will be barrel shaped, that’s how they’re made. They should be the largest diameter close to the bottom of the skirt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back