The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Passing Inspection -New York

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strunk

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2003
New_York
I have a 3 inch cat eliminating downpipe, and my inspection is up in another month. What do you all think my chances of passing emissions in Ny are? I live in long island and im pretty sure i havent got a chance in hell at passing, which is bad because the only way i could put a high flow cat on would be to cut the down pipe which i really dont want to do. Any suggestions/comments :confused:

I think that is the only reasonable solution. I live on Long Island as well but i have a hi flow cat. The only other way i can think of is geting a in with a mechanic to pass you state inspection ROFL

ty for the offer, yeah im fwd im gonna try and pass inspection catless, and there is also this allegid mechanic my friend knows that will pass me, but in the event that falls through i would definitely take u up on the offer...what is the name of ur club, any of the members live out here in LI...PEACE :thumb:

i dont know if my car is exactly club worthy, its a fwd auto with a couple of mods done to it nothing to crazy. I dont think im worthy :(

ha ha yes thats true, its just to bad my car isn't one of them. The automatic tranny in a second gen allegedly can handle somewhere around 350 to 400 hp before breaking completely. Add on to that the fact that not matter how good of a driver you are you will never be able to shift as fast as an auto. I myself would prefer a manual, o well maybee someday. later

this is what i do...i get my rs eclipse inspected and put the sticker on my gsx,LOL, i heard in NY they have this scanner but whatever i'll take my chances no cat for me

hey in ohio for 96 and up cars they use a "scanner" but I think they chek to see if you have a cat anyway. well good luck man.

join up with us at nyccdsm, its fun and there are some of us that are almost stock (like me) :D

BE CAREFUL!! I know in NJ if you fail inspection for emissions at the state inspection center, a thrid party mechanic can NOT pass you without testing. Your best bet is to go straight to a mechanic.

I live in Pennsylvania and are laws are pretty much the same as far as emissions testing goes. Next year will have the sniffer and strict laws like california but in the mean time if it's a simple look over by the garage you can do exactly what a friend of mine did. First find a 3" cat (now i am running straight pipe as well no cat so I will be doing the same thing for my inspection) After you have the cat cut the caseing off into 2 pieces so you have a top and a bottom or each side doesn't matter. third you want to take those pieces you cut off and weld them around the bottom of your DP or where your DP meets the test pipe. Like I stated befor if it is just a simple look over like they do here in PA you'll pass no problem. :thumb:

did you try checking the sticky thread called "post your experiences with emissions in your state" or whatever... its at the top of the newbie forum page...

Boosted90GST said:
I live in Pennsylvania and are laws are pretty much the same as far as emissions testing goes. Next year will have the sniffer and strict laws like california but in the mean time if it's a simple look over by the garage you can do exactly what a friend of mine did. First find a 3" cat (now i am running straight pipe as well no cat so I will be doing the same thing for my inspection) After you have the cat cut the caseing off into 2 pieces so you have a top and a bottom or each side doesn't matter. third you want to take those pieces you cut off and weld them around the bottom of your DP or where your DP meets the test pipe. Like I stated befor if it is just a simple look over like they do here in PA you'll pass no problem. :thumb:

Yeah, the only problem is that i dont really want to have to cut my downpipe in half. It is a cat eliminating downpipe, longer then an averaged sized downpipe. So, if i was to cut it at the approximate spot where the cat would be, i could weld a high flow cat in place and then weld that other end of the downpipe to the cat...That doesnt sound like too much fun though, i would rather try and find a different way, besides i like no running with no cat.

tstkl said:
did you try checking the sticky thread called "post your experiences with emissions in your state" or whatever... its at the top of the newbie forum page...

I didnt but i surely will :thumb:

gridlyne said:
I too know of a mechanic who can pass you. :cool:

well where is he ur guy? cuz my friends allegid mechanic can only pass "domestics"...idiot

Dude, I said nothing about cutting your down pipe. I said cut a cat appart and weld the outside of the cat around your downpipe so it looks like you have 1 their that is all

that makes some type of sense the only thing is, that i wont pass emissisions without a cat. I had the stock dp last year so i didnt have to worry. Also, my car throws a cel, and is has ever since i took off the stock dp. O2 sensor maybee?? IDK im just going to have to wait and see when i bring it to get inspected.

Well if that doesn't work for you guy's im sorry.. i'm lucky enough to have access to a slap n sick for a good price :tease: :sneaky: :shhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back