The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Parts advice needed on stock turbo/manifold installation hardware

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I'm soon going to be removing nearly everything that's connected to my '92 Talon TSi's intake and exhaust, e.g. intake manifold, throttle, fuel rail & injectors, exhaust manifold & turbo, etc. The car's been having some moderate rough idle issues and I figure that it's time to take everything out, replace anything that needs replacing, hopefully just gaskets, o-rings, hardware, and maybe some vacuum hoses, and clean up anything that needs cleaning up, inside & out (might as well remove rust, oxidation & crud & apply some protective high temp paint, I like clean & pretty-looking parts).

I've pretty much figured out which parts to order, the ones that are supposed to or should be replaced. But I'm still confused as to which fastening hardware I'll need on the turbo. Between the parts catalog and different DSM vendors, I'm getting conflicting advice, and was hoping that folks here could help me out.

I'm keeping everything stock, turbo, manifold, intake, etc.

On the Turbo-Manifold, do I still need 1 stud, 1 nut and 3 bolts, and are these the ones:

1 Stud: MD050075
1 Nut: MD132930
3 Bolts: MD132656/MR187699

Or is it ok to use 4 of these bolts and do away with the stud & nut?

And which and how many of these spring lock washers do I need:

MD132933 (FSM says 4, 1 per bolt)
MR187848 (JNZ/RTM Racing say 8, 2 per bolt)

On the O2 Housing-Turbo, same questions. 1 stud, 1 nut and 3 bolts:

1 Stud: MD050074
1 Nut: MD050073 (FSM/JNZ) or MD165879 (RTM)?
3 Bolts: MD062961

And, as for the washers, same question as above, same washer choice.

Btw with a stock setup, should I get the stock exhaust manifold gasket:

MD124763

The 2-layer one:

MD181032

Or the 4-layer one:

MR323654

Last edited:
I'm soon going to be removing nearly everything that's connected to my '92 Talon TSi's intake and exhaust, e.g. intake manifold, throttle, fuel rail & injectors, exhaust manifold & turbo, etc. The car's been having some moderate rough idle issues and I figure that it's time to take everything out, replace anything that needs replacing, hopefully just gaskets, o-rings, hardware, and maybe some vacuum hoses, and clean up anything that needs cleaning up, inside & out (might as well remove rust, oxidation & crud & apply some protective high temp paint, I like clean & pretty-looking parts).

I've pretty much figured out which parts to order, the ones that are supposed to or should be replaced. But I'm still confused as to which fastening hardware I'll need on the turbo. Between the parts catalog and different DSM vendors, I'm getting conflicting advice, and was hoping that folks here could help me out.

I'm keeping everything stock, turbo, manifold, intake, etc.

On the Turbo-Manifold, do I still need 1 stud, 1 nut and 3 bolts, and are these the ones:

1 Stud: MD050075
1 Nut: MD132930
3 Bolts: MD132656/MR187699

4 bolts is preferred for ease of installation.
And which and how many of these spring lock washers do I need:

MD132933 (FSM says 4, 1 per bolt)
MR187848 (JNZ/RTM Racing say 8, 2 per bolt)
Use 2 per bolt faces opposite each other. These aren't actually washers. They are Belleville springs.
On the O2 Housing-Turbo, same questions. 1 stud, 1 nut and 3 bolts:

1 Stud: MD050074
1 Nut: MD050073 (FSM/JNZ) or MD165879 (RTM)?
3 Bolts: MD062961

I suppose you cold use 4 bolts but the stud doesn't pose an installation hardship like it does with the turbo to manifold. I always ran the stud.
And, as for the washers, same question as above, same washer choice.
I have and continue to run 1 per. If I recall these are just regular washers, not Belleville springs.
Btw with a stock setup, should I get the stock exhaust manifold gasket:

MD124763

The 2-layer one:

MD181032

Or the 4-layer one:

MR323654
I don't have an answer here.

4 bolts is preferred for ease of installation.

Use 2 per bolt faces opposite each other. These aren't actually washers. They are Belleville springs.

I suppose you cold use 4 bolts but the stud doesn't pose an installation hardship like it does with the turbo to manifold. I always ran the stud.

I have and continue to run 1 per. If I recall these are just regular washers, not Belleville springs.

I don't have an answer here.
Thanks. Do you recall which are the Belleville springs and which are the regular washers, so I get 8 of the former and 4 of the latter?

Thanks. Do you recall which are the Belleville springs and which are the regular washers, so I get 8 of the former and 4 of the latter?

Belleville springs have the two dimples on them. Washers don’t. MR187848 are the Belleville washers.

Belleville springs have the two dimples on them. Washers don’t. MR187848 are the Belleville washers.
Yeah, I meant the actual product codes. So if the Bellevilles are the MR187848 then the regular washers would have to be the MD132933. Weird though that the FSM calls for the latter, not the Bellevilles. Are those a more recent thing due to the stock ones having proven to be inadequate under real world use?

Btw, if anyone's looking to buy either washer or spring, Amayama's got them for way cheaper than most US dealers. You just have to be willing to wait 2-4 weeks to get them, with the possibility of an even greater delay due to the situation in Ukraine.

Yeah, I meant the actual product codes. So if the Bellevilles are the MR187848 then the regular washers would have to be the MD132933. Weird though that the FSM calls for the latter, not the Bellevilles. Are those a more recent thing due to the stock ones having proven to be inadequate under real world use?

Btw, if anyone's looking to buy either washer or spring, Amayama's got them for way cheaper than most US dealers. You just have to be willing to wait 2-4 weeks to get them, with the possibility of an even greater delay due to the situation in Ukraine.

On 1Gs and early Evos they just used one washer that was not a spring. 2Gs and evo 4+ had the Belleville washers is why it’s like that. And you’re right about MD132933, that’s just the washer.

On 1Gs and early Evos they just used one washer that was not a spring. 2Gs and evo 4+ had the Belleville washers is why it’s like that. And you’re right about MD132933, that’s just the washer.
But I guess my question was whether this was one of those situations where the car came with part X and the FSM said to use part X, but in real world use part X proved to not be up to the task and was either replaced with part Y or part Y became the recommended replacement part for part X? Kind of like how some of the stock manual trans parts were replaced with beefier ones, like the synchros IIRC.

But I guess my question was whether this was one of those situations where the car came with part X and the FSM said to use part X, but in real world use part X proved to not be up to the task and was either replaced with part Y or part Y became the recommended replacement part for part X? Kind of like how some of the stock manual trans parts were replaced with beefier ones, like the synchros IIRC.

That’s what I would assume, I don’t know tbh. But it could be that, could be a supplier issue, could be a simple design change, etc. I do know that the 2G washers are superior. They hold a lot better and a lot longer and don’t seem the snap bolts like 1Gs with just the washer. But that’s heresay/my experience, not fact.

Are you sure? If I recall every washer I've purchased always had the dimples and I'm sure I bought some before 2gs even existed.

Given that both still appear to be in production then I assume that it was just an upgrade for that specific application and not production or supplier issues. But I'm just guessing and in any case it's immaterial to my situation. I was just curious.

Thanks all for helping. I was all set to put in an order and this was one of the last things holding me up. Probably the last big order I'll make on my nearly 2 year restoration and repair project. Yeah, famous last words...

Are you sure? If I recall every washer I've purchased always had the dimples and I'm sure I bought some before 2gs even existed.

I’m pretty sure. Maybe they quickly phased it out before the 2G models went into production? Not sure honestly. I know that’s what Mitsubishi says though is the spring washers are 2G/Evo4+ and flat washers are OEM 1g/early evo.

Btw, just to make sure, I'm replacing all the manifold-block studs, washers & nuts with OEM ones, whichever the parts catalog calls for. I assume they're still being made? And I'll be very careful and gentle removing everything. I've had enough experience removing snapped fasteners to know I don't want to do it again. I assume that some penetrating oil then running the engine and letting it cool a bit helps.

Same for the turbo bolts & studs?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back