The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

P0340 and Rough Start with Crower Cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryanfenrir

Probationary Member
Jul 5, 2019
Lares, Puerto_Rico
I need help i installed a set of crower stage 2 camshafts and im having problems for startup, my eclipse starts but it takes a few seconds to start and keeps giving me P0340, before cams i didn’t had this problem, now the car after startup runs fine and idle fine but every startup i need to wait for a few cranks so it will start

I need help i installed a set of crower stage 2 camshafts and im having problems for startup, my eclipse starts but it takes a few seconds to start and keeps giving me P0340, before cams i didn’t had this problem, now the car after startup runs fine and idle fine but every startup i need to wait for a few cranks so it will start

bad camshaft position sensor I would say anyone else chime in

I changed it, and changed the magnet too, it rakes a few cranking and a little gas pedal and it starts good

might be off a tooth if it does not start right away after cranking or while from a good speed to a stop it will die

if it dies while driving and getting to a stop the cam position sensor will notice and cut the engine off but if it does not die then your all good

Last edited:
No it does not turn off when stopping and timing was checked and everything is perfect, it works fine but slow to start only problem i think i will keep driving it like that is not a problem

There is a reason your car didnt come with those cams... guess what that reason is? performance cams are a trade off, your trading high rpm performance for low rpm driveability and choppy idle, guess what part of the powerband startup occurs at? thats right, low rpm. Cammed engines dont start like non cammed engines, they lose compression at low rpm and some of that compression ends up back in the intake from flow reversal during high overlap at cranking speeds, this makes the engine harder to start among other things, there are workarounds to get a decent compromise but those type of workarounds sound like they are out of your league and best left to a professional tuner at this point.

There is a reason your car didnt come with those cams... guess what that reason is? performance cams are a trade off, your trading high rpm performance for low rpm driveability and choppy idle, guess what part of the powerband startup occurs at? thats right, low rpm. Cammed engines dont start like non cammed engines, they lose compression at low rpm and some of that compression ends up back in the intake from flow reversal during high overlap at cranking speeds, this makes the engine harder to start among other things, there are workarounds to get a decent compromise but those type of workarounds sound like they are out of your league and best left to a professional tuner at this point.

well said, if you have adjustable cam gears you can tune easier but he might not have those

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back