The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Opinions on a difficult choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triggerx

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
Alright, my water pump is leaking bad, and It's probably the seal behind it. However the car is around the time where the timing belt and the water pump need to be replaced.
Unfortunately this car is my only means of transportation so I'm not too confident in attempting it on my own.
So here's my dilemma.
Should I just take it to a mechanic? Or is the timing belt/water pump worth attempting on my own? I don't know if Sun devil auto will use OEM parts, but the labor and parts would be under warranty.
I also plan on getting a small 16g since my current turbo probably needs to be replaced as well. And I kinda figured it would be a good time seeing as everything in terms of a proper tune up will have been completed.

So I'm looking at spending about 1500 going through a mechanic,

And about 900 if I did it myself.

Is it worth the risk?

If you are mechanically inclined I say do it yourself. Im sure if the mechanic is as busy as the mechanics out where I live they may have your car for a few days. If you follow VFAQ Im sure you could complete it in a few hours. Just have a friend give you a hand and save yourself some $$$$ to put toward more mods or to just keep in your pocket. My first time changing the timing on any vehicle was on my current car and it took me around 2 hours. Ive done it so many times on my car and on friends cars that I can almost do it with my eyes closed. Give it a shot and if you run into any problems use the forum, its your best friend when it comes to your car. Good luck though on whichever option you choose.

Don't see how replacing a water pump yourself would cost anywhere close to $900.

Complete DSM Timing Belt Replacement Kit - Modern Automotive Performance
Under $450. Even if you have to buy a couple of tools and the WP and valve cover gaskets, you shouldn't hit $900. And $1500 for a shop is a bit much, IMO. Am I missing something?
Make sure to replace the O-ring on the water pump too.
Just read through the service manual and the guides online here and you'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwecE8OOLU
Who has ever used the specialty too at 1:50 in the video? That seems a little much, LOL.

IF i were you I would find a reputable DSM tuner locally that you know of and have him do it. you can take all the parts off around the t-belt to save you some time and $$ and he can come down slap on the belt and the rest and show you how to properly do it so next time you can do it yourself and not be stuck in this dilemma.

Do it yourself with help from somebody who knows what they're doing if possible. Your better off knowing how to do it

I would buy an OEM timing belt kit from JNZ tuning, everything in it will be OEM. That Modern Auto link doesn't include Mitsu parts, maybe the tensioner but it doesn't look like it...

Either way you need oem timing components. And if you cannot find someone to help you do it then have a mechanic do it, it will save a lot of time. Daily drivers are not good cars to experiment on if you are unsure how to do a job like this.

Awe excuse the high quotes. That's with the new turbo for both.

I know extremepsi sells a timing belt kit for like 250.

As far as my mechanical inclination,I've done shocks, alt belt,power steering belt,ac belt,replaced pullies, head gasket, ecu, etc. I've never done a timing belt though.

I'm just flipping scared to mess up the timing ya know. But maybe this would be a good learning experience.

Exactly GRace, thats my whole predicament. This is my only car, and yea I realize I could save a large sum of money, but I don't want to experiment on this car

i totally understand your dilemma, but i say nothing ventured nothing gained. i felt the same exact way about my valve stem seals when i had to do them in my laser. u just gotta go balls deep and have some faith in yourself. seeing the other work you've done, i'd say u can def handle it. follow the guides, i think you'll be gravy:sneaky:

Cost me $500 w/ installation price at the shop to do all mine. I got oem timing kit and napa water pump.:hellyeah:

i would if i was u .. not to hard to do a lil time and it done ...take pics if need be and put all parts in a boxs or bags with numbers...timing is TDC and all marks are right on .

Unfortunately I decided to go to a shop.
728.56 was the cheapest I could find, but in the meantime this will at least give me time to save up for a streetbike.

As for the small 16g, am I ok with the stock injectors? My goal is just to get the car as fast as a g35 right now.

I would do the turbo myself..I've done it soo many times now, I could probably do it all be feel at this point..

As far as the timing is concerend..I have not done that yet..And myself I would buy the kit and have a reputable shop do it..

There are probably tons of dsmers or shops in your area that could do the belt etc in a couple hours..

The 16g is fine on stock injectors on wastegate pressure..But it might creep at WOT...

Actually to tell you the truth the only thing that I haven't done on the car is the timing. Everything else I've pretty much replaced myself. I've gone through 6 alternators in the past year, only to realize I had to rebuild or buy a powersteering pump.
Timing however, is a different story, I'm not gonna risk bending valves or breaking something ### I wanted to save some money. Next time I guarantee I won't be takin the car to a shop, ill be doing it myself.

Alright perfect, where's the best place to buy a small 16g, I'm thinking I want it brand new and so far extreme psi has the cheapest I believe.
And I'm a lil confused ### turbochargers.com has the 16g for 1200$ while extremepsi has it at 600$. Am I missing something? Is one just a knock off?

If you really feel you need a new turbo then buy a 16g here. I bought my Evo III 16g here a few months ago because it was the best deal. I'm not sure about prices now but shipping was pretty fast, and free with the turbo.

Forced Performance Turbochargers

What makes you think you need a new turbo? I have heard these 16gs like to creep unless you have a very good O2 housing and port job. If you do have creep issues then you are stuck upgrading your fuel system and finding a way to tune it. That will be much more than your $1500 budget.

That's why all I want is a small 16g, nothing too big. And apparently the small 16g is considered a factory upgrade on our cars if I'm not mistaken. ( someone correct if me wrong)
For my plans a small 16g is adequate because this is a dd I don't plan on constantly fixing, we all know these cars are old and crap just breaks.

I figure, a vr4 fuel pump and a small 16g turbo, with the stock injectors should do just fine without a tune.

My car won't be the fastest here on the forums, but it'll be able to hold its own against all these new cars coming out of the factory.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back