The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Old tech? BFGOODRICH - G-FORCE SUPER SPORT A-S

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syndr0me

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2011
Pincourt, QC_Canada
Hi,

Currently looking to replace my old tires. 225/45/17 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE SUPER SPORT A-S.

I can get the same set for $700 CAD tax in,or for roughly $165 ea. before tax

Im trying to look for reviews and they seem to date from last decade (2007-2008)

Would if be dumb of me to repurchase the same tire? I havnt driven my car in 4 years (they also came with the car when i bought it). From memory, they served me pretty well, but im starting to question their relevency.

All suggestions are appreaciated. Im not trying to spent to much, as next year, I plan to drop to a 16/15 inch with 245/255ers for a more street/drag focused centric tire.

thanks.

Last edited:

Ah thanks. It's hard finding tire information and what's new or better online. Google always points you too online tire shops and there's never really info on tire tech itself. Feels like everyone tries to sell you on a fancy name and good looking tread.

The tire you suggested is XL. One thing I note with my Super sports was the lack of wheel hope on hard launches. Would be a bummer for this to be an issue now. I do see the super comp non a/s seems to have a regular rated sidewall.

Also, $180 ea. At this point, it's just as pricey as any other top rated tire. RE71s in the 215 are the same price.

I also spotted some hankook V12 evo2 k120 for $170 ea.

But again, I'm falling into XL territory with both those choices. I dont know if my basis about hop are unfounded, but it would suck to have it now when I never did.

The BFG Super sport in my original post just happened to be the cheapest named brand sport tire of that size out of everything showing up on pcmtire.com

Everything else just keeps getting gradually pricier and pricier.

Last edited:
Ah thanks. It's hard finding tire information and what's new or better online. Google always points you too online tire shops and there's never really info on tire evolution tech. Feels like everyone tries to sell you on a fancy name and good looking thread.

The tire you suggested is XL. One thing I note with my Super sports was the lack of wheel hope on hard launches. Would be a bummer for this to be an issue now. I do see the super comp non a/s seems to have a regular rated sidewall.

Also, $180 ea. At this point, it's just as pricey as any other top rated tire. RE71s in the 215 are the same price.

I also spotted some hankook V12 evo2 k120 for $170 ea.

But again, I'm falling into XL territory with both those choices. I dont know if my basis about hop are unfounded, but it would suck to have it now when I never did.

The BFG Super sport in my original post just happened to be the cheapest named brand sport tire of that size out of everything showing up on pcmtire.com

Everything else just keeps getting gradually pricier and pricier.

I think your idea is right. Stiff sidewalls will have no give and are not your best friend for launching at the drag strip. I run the RE71rs and would recommend them to just about anyone doing aggressive driving for street/autox/road race use. But given what you said you use the car for I don't think those are the tire for you. Especially if price is a concern. They are not cheap and they have a very short life. After about 10 autox events and two summers of minimal street use they are almost completely done with roughly 7000 miles on them.

I think your idea is right. Stiff sidewalls will have no give and are not your best friend for launching at the drag strip. I run the RE71rs and would recommend them to just about anyone doing aggressive driving for street/autox/road race use. But given what you said you use the car for I don't think those are the tire for you. Especially if price is a concern. They are not cheap and they have a very short life. After about 10 autox events and two summers of minimal street use they are almost completely done with roughly 7000 miles on them.

Completely agree. There is maybe 1 other tire that has more outright grip than the RE71r. But, they suck for launching.

A very good compromise would be the BFG Rival S or the Nexen Surg4. Horizontal grip is still amazing, but the softer sidewalls are both more comfortable and also better for launching. The Yokohama AD052 being the other other street tire i'd rank higher that the re71r, but they are very very expensive and they last even less miles.

Last edited:
Completely agree. There is maybe 1 other tire that has more outright grip than the RE71r. But, they suck for launching.

A very good compromise would be the BFG Rival S or the Nexen Surg4. Horizontal grip is still amazing, but the softer sidewalls are both more comfortable and also better for launching. The Yokohama AD052 being the other other street tire i'd rank higher that the re71r, but they are very very expensive and they last even less miles.

Both the rival S and nexen Sur4 seem to be all out of stock on any canadian website i look. :(

*UPDATE

Well i went ahead and ordered the same tire since they are "tried and true" and they just happened to be the cheapest as well. Turns out its a dated listing and they dont exist no more. :sadface:

*UPDATE 2

Alternatively, ive narrowed it down to these two choices:

BFGOODRICH - G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2

https://pmctire.com/fr/tires/bf-goo...drich-g-force-sport-comp-2-215-45r17-87w.tire

CONTINENTAL - EXTREMECONTACT DWS06

https://pmctire.com/fr/tires/contin...ntal-extremecontact-dws06-225-45zr17-91w.tire

Still in the market for some soft wall 17" street summer tires. Suggestions welcomed.

Last edited:
I run the BFG Sport Comp-2's on my eclipse. Excellent tire but these are more suited for road courses and not drag launching. Side walls are stiff for best all-round usage (accelerating, corning, & braking). These will hop if you don't have stiff motor mounts & suspension. Don't know about the Continentals. An alternative that is used for dragging when drag radials aren't not permitted are snow tires. Snow tires have softer sidewalls & tread for cold weather and grip good on launches. Search this site as there are a few snow tire brands that have better mileage too. FYI - Another really good road course tire for the money is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back