The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil temperatures after switching to External cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
I am debating whether an external cooler is better when I would through a replacement of the oil filter housing. I was told that I wouldn't need it on a stock motor. Another user said that he had a drop of twenty degres. I understand that a perfect temperature would be between 175-200 f range. Therefore please post if you have an oil temp. gauge what temp you are running, season, oil type and weight, and of course how much of an improvement you had on your newer setup.
Thanks.

Going from a 7 bolt with its stock cooler to a 6 bolt with a home made external cooler ( dodge truck core hooked up with -6 AN lines and fittings) I noticed a little over 20* drop in the summer and damn near 40 on really cold days in the winter. My cooler is mounted in the hole on the driver side of the bumper where the stock side mount would be on the other side of the car. I run 5w30 full synthetic all year round, temps in our summers are 90's average with an index of over 100* most of the time. In the winter we have highs of 40 and lows of 5-8* below 0 for a few months.

Thanks for the reply , Do you remember the actual temperature before and after ?

Do realize that cold oil is not entirely efficient. It's like a sludge almost. Starting up the car on really cold days will be a bi***.

Do realize that cold oil is not entirely efficient. It's like a sludge almost. Starting up the car on really cold days will be a bi***.

Coolers have a build in solenoid that does not allow for flow untill the proper temperature is reached to aid in the start up.
I understand that , but then what is the proper temperature range for oil ? As I said that by looking at the graphs when properly warmed up is 175deg to-200deg farenheit.
What is the temperature of oil that makes it behave efficeintly???
That is good you mentioned that oil is not efficient at low temperatures therefore it would be a good question to ask what some of you run on extnal cooler and with out it so I can determine if it is effiecient.

Does this mean that my oil will act as 10w-40 for example if I use 10w-30 with the increased oil cooling by being thicker???. Therefore a simple weight difference in oil will do the same>?

In a healthy motor, oil and water will run very nearly the same temperature. The much-maligned stock oil-water cooler not only cools heat from the oil, but in cold climes, adds heat to the oil and helps to shorten warm-up time.

Thank you for your replies,
I think that I may go with an internal water housing.

On a daily driver or normal street car, a internal oil cooler will be fine. For track and autocross racers, a external oil cooler is highly recommended. Last summer i had a problem with my oil temps getting too high, and actually affecting my oil pressure. I changed to the external cooler, got better pressure, lower temps(not cold, just lower). I can literally feel both of my oil lines and feel the difference in temperatures.

I didnt know that the cooler part of the bracket came off with a removal of the 22mm bolt.
Anyone knows the torque rating on it I heard 20lbs-in???
I am considering a forward facing oil filter housing from :JNZ Tuning
Anyone knows if I can just swap the water cooler part onto it?
I wont probobly need it if I will run a megan racing downpipe, but the housing is alot more affordable.

I use an external oil cooler w/-8an ss lines.

Its mounted in the driver side bumper opening.
Its winter time, I havent driven it in the summer yet.
20w-50 Penzoil Non-syn
My oil temps are right around 180-190*, and my coolant temps are 190*-200*.

Anyone knows the temperature difference when switching from a watercooled 7bolt to a forward facing oil bracket, of course the increase in temp. this time. I am looking perhaps into this solution and then I would switch to a permacool bracket along with an external cooler.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back