The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil pump housing torque specs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93formula

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 18, 2004
Thornton, Colorado
I've been putting my motor together today, and I'm wondering the torque specs from the oil pump housing on the back of the front case to front case torque specs. Also is that piece supposed to have a gasket? My mitsubishi kit didn't come with one.

There is no gasket there, both parts are precision machined. Torque is around 20-25 ft/lbs, but I cant remember exactly. I use something in that range. By cmparison, the front cover to block spec is ~16-18. Hopefully somone has more accurate figures, if you havent already done this.

Suparata said:
Clean the thread holes and pump cover bolts with brake clean, apply a dab of Loctite to the bolt threads and torque them to 11-13 ft.lbs.
No gasket or sealant.
The front case bolts should be between 11-16 ft.lbs (go 15ft.lbs) except one that is a 10mm which has to be 20-25ft.lbs

Sorry to resurrect this thred from the dead, but I've just installed a front case on a friend's car.
I torqued the bolts holding the gear housing down, but I don't recall putting loctite on them.
SHould I rip out the case to go back and put loctite on these threads?
It looks like there are locating dowels holding the housing to the front case that will hold them.

Has anyone failed to loctite these threads?

I've rebuilt many a 1.8 and 2.0 turbo and n/t. On turbo motor's I've forgot to do this 3 or 4 times but hasn't affected oil pressure any. No failures yet. As long as they are torqued you should be oil. Although if you have your balance shafts removed it might present more of a problem.

95bLaCkGsTuRbO said:
I've rebuilt many a 1.8 and 2.0 turbo and n/t. On turbo motor's I've forgot to do this 3 or 4 times but hasn't affected oil pressure any. No failures yet. As long as they are torqued you should be oil. Although if you have your balance shafts removed it might present more of a problem.

How would having no balance shafts affect it?

The c ar has no balance shafts.
it's fully built.
You think I should rip out the front case and apply the loctite?

Loctite is used just to have you sleep better. It should always be used in minimal quantity to make sure that they won’t come loose, which they probably won’t anyway if torqued right.

Suparata said:
Loctite is used just to have you sleep better. It should always be used in minimal quantity to make sure that they won’t come loose, which they probably won’t anyway if torqued right.

I seriously hope that's the case.
Thanks

It's fine. No balance shafts adds power and oil pressure. Less rotating mass and they are heavy. I think the only thing that I have loctited on my car is the flywheel bolts. Other than that it's all torqued down. I wouldn't worry about not loctiting them. Never heard of them comming undone.

Part number is MF140025 (FLANGE,M8X20), there's 4 of them (ignoring the little philliphs screw).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

=============================================================================

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back