The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fastener Torque Values [Merged 3-9] value tightness torques specs specifications

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreddySpyder

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2002
Alabama
I changed my leaky oil pan gasket not long ago and it is still leaking. I used red rtv as the gasket and ran a nice continuous bead around the whole pan making a circle around each bolt hole. I think the two mistakes I made were not waiting for the RTV to dry before putting the pan back on, and I think I tightened the bolts too much ( I ended up breaking one of them).
I'm gonna buy a torque wrench and make sure they are right this time... how much torque do the pan bolts require? How long should I let the RTV dry this time before putting the pan back on?

Does anyone know the size and thread pitch on the bell housing bolts so I can put my engine on the engine stand??

Well I found the answer to my question. Just in case anybody ever looks for this again, the bolt size (unknown to the local dealer) is 10x1.25.

Wow i'm not the only one who saw this thread. I just tried to torque mine last night and the manual on disk says 14. Thats not to say 15 isn't ok to that's just what i saw. I had 1 strip out so someone must have been in there before me because i didn't go over 14-15 and it just kept turning. Do you know how i could fix the threads if it's even possible?

Well, you could try using a ever so slightly longer bolt to see if it catches any lower cut threads first.

If not, you may have to use a heli coil thread insert. You have to drill out a larger hole, and re-tap it, and insert the coiled insert, then use your stock bolt.

Will the alignment pin still go back in the hole after drilling it bigger? I've never used a heli coil only heard of them. You just drill what's left of the old threads out and insert the coil right?

Will the alignment pin still go back in the hole after drilling it bigger? I've never used a heli coil only heard of them. You just drill what's left of the old threads out and insert the coil right?
I'm not sure if they alignment pin will still go in. My guess is no, at least not on the "in the head" part. Maybe you could somehow put it in the cap itself? If not, you still have one alignment dowel, and I doubt you'd have any problem as long as you make sure the cap is on straight.

The heli coil is pretty simple. You just drill out the old hole to a larger hole, and then tap that hole. Then you thread in your insert that the kit comes with. The inside thread of the insert will be the same as the bolt you need to use.

Heres a vfaq on valve cover bolts, but it gives you the idea on how to use the heli coil kit.

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/heli.htm

Well here's the update guys i pulled the sleeve out of the hole by putting a bolt of the same size in it (the bolt that goes in it) and gripping it lightly with vise grips and twisted it right out. I picked up a heli coil kit for 8m x 1.25 Advance and a 21/64ths drill bit (bit didn't come with it) from sears. The sleeve will go right back in like it's supposed to easy as pie. Thanks for the help.

Can anyone tell me the torque specs for the bolts on the 2g GST? Haynes says 168 inch pounds. That sounded high to me so I torqued them to 120 inch pounds. It was working fine until one of the bolts broke! I am not sure if the bolts were just to rusty, but I want to be sure.

Any tips for not leaking later??? I put a felpro gasket on and some RTV sealant...

I started in the center and went clockwise... Do you normally use the gasket to? The previous owner only had RTV no gasket. I did not see any leaks.

spooled_u_1st said:
I use Mitsubishi RTV for oil pans. The directions say to let it sit for at least 30 min. I usually let it sit for a few hours just to be sure.

This is also a good thread to refer to.

Attachments

• PanSeal.jpg
    PanSeal.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 534
As for "torquing", fasteners this small are just turned down until tight. It's just something you learn after snapping a few. You probably don't own a torque wrench accurate enough to use on such small screws.
Make sure you put the short bolts under the cam belt.

Thanks defiant. I found many bootleg modifications (missing or home depot bolts) I thought the short ones were another bootleg deal...

There are two shorter bolts that go under the timing belt where the oil sprocket is. If the longer bolts are installed in those places then they can put grooves in the timing belt while running the engine. This happend to me when I bought my car. There was a groove about every inch or so in the same spot where the longer bolts would touch it.

There are two shorter bolts that go under the timing belt where the oil sprocket is. If the longer bolts are installed in those places then they can put grooves in the timing belt while running the engine. This happend to me when I bought my car. There was a groove about every inch or so in the same spot where the longer bolts would touch it.

Ok, thanks...now I can fix my car and laugh at my friend b/c he has a little groove in his TB. Sorry for the threadjacking

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back