The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oil pressure gauge sensor questions [merged] oil sender

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinracing

Probationary Member
Nov 13, 2002
nor_cal
All oil sender threads are merged here.

going down the road today i noticed my oil pressure gauge was reading nothing or zero depending on how you look at it..on my stock gauge..

i immediatly pulled over to check my oil and found that it and the rest of my car was fine..its still running fine and everything so i came home to check vfaq.com and it said that my sensor could be the culprit..

so my question is there a website or link to a page that will show my hw to check my sensor??? and or replace what is needed to read my oil pressure... or shuold i just say #### it and get a aftermarket gauge right now because its more accurate anyways?..

yeah im new around here so go easy on me..but i didnt think this was a dumb question or anything so thats why i put it here..

It's most likely not the sender, it's the wire/connector that hooks onto it.

Look under the driver side of the car for it, the connector is probably loose or hanging off.

Clean it off with something, and either try and position it better, or very carefully bend the little metal tab inside the connector so that it holds onto the sender knob better.

This is very common, BTW.

-Jesse

I have a 95 talon tsi AWD. I did a search and need to know where the oil gauge sensor is. I am new to the dsms. At idle the oil light comes on only, so i think the sensor is faulty. Need to know asap.

it is on the drivers side down by the oil filter. your oil pressure might be low enough at idle to make the light come on. i'de check the oil pressure with another gauge just to be safe.

actaully the light started to flash after i had merlins change the oil, i think those idiots hit it or sumething. Before the oil change it was fine.

might have a bad connection now.i would still check the oil pressure with a manual gauge just to make sure they didn'y mess anything else up. its better to be safe than sorry. there is a sending unit for the gauge, and there is a sending unit for the light. the one for the light is twards the front of the motor. and the one for the gauge is around the crank pulley.

Originally posted by 92awdgsx
might have a bad connection now.i would still check the oil pressure with a manual gauge just to make sure they didn'y mess anything else up. its better to be safe than sorry. there is a sending unit for the gauge, and there is a sending unit for the light. the one for the light is twards the front of the motor. and the one for the gauge is around the crank pulley.

ok i got sumthing from mitsubishi that says "switch engine oil pressure", would that be for the gauge or light.

im hittin up the oil light too mine comes on and off and i know the problem...one of the wires is dangling by a thread(hence my oil light commin on and off)im jus' too damn lazy to spend the 10 minutes to rewire it LOL

Hey, they wire that attaches to that little T that comes off the end of the oil sender broke off, thus having no oil pressure show up on my gauge. Does anyone know what that rectangular piece that slides over the T is called? Thanks.

It's not a term your mother would like you using.

Just use a spade connector, it should slide over the terminal on the pressure sender from the side. You may need to fritz with it a bit with some needle nose pliers to make sure it's secure. Some connectors have the underside tangs folded under so that they're too narrow to fit onto the stem of the stud of the sender easily, fiddle with it.

There's a chance NAPA will carry the right kind of connector, it's not too uncommon on oil senders.

i can't find it in the chilton manual, i was wondering if anyone here can tell me where the oil pressure sensor is located at thank you

Ok, The thing i'm pointing at with the green arrows is what i'm talking about*

My question is where the line goes onto (orange arrow) is that suppose to be tight? Because mine slides right off without even hardly touching it...I am wondering if that could be why sometimes my gauge is at normal and othertimes its completely "off."

Attachments

• 1g oil filter housing2.jpg
    1g oil filter housing2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,750
Mine was really loose too. I took a zip tie and put it around the wire before the black connector and wrapped the zip tie up around the pressure sender. It has been holding pretty good since then.

It's some damned Ford connector. Take that little short piece of wire off and take it to NAPA, they'll have one on a pigtail. Snip off the old one, solder and shrink wrap the new one on, and back to the races. Or, see what Mits wants for the piece with both connectors on it.

Hi,

Just wondering where does this Oil Pressure sensor located in the engine bay?
Is is somewhere near the oil filter housing?

OK... so when I start the car... turn it off.. rev it... and drive it... my oil pressure guage doesnt move... I've heard that the sensor falls off quite often on DSM's but I cant even find it at all.. I have a chiltons book but it doesnt show exactly wehre it is.. and I peek around but see no wire... I think I may have even lost the wire... can someone tell me/ show me where the oil pressure sensor is?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back