The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil in water help again!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspharris

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2005
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
Ok someone please tell me again where every spot on our car that oil can get into the water. I have been through this and been through this with my car. It is under warranty and the first time it did this they replaced the oil filter housing and it still did it so they replaced the T25 and it stopped, for awhile. This time they replaced the head gasket and had the head checked and put it all back together and it still does it. Plus with the car at idle it sits below 10 and it used to sit about 18 in vaccuum. So what do you think about where the oil gets into the water? No water gets into the oil. What do you think about the vaccuum situation, timing? How often does or how prone to failure is the oil filter housing? I change the oil myself and always go 1/4 turn past hand tight. The last time I changed the oil I may have tightened a little to much because I was distracted. Is there a way to check the oil filter housing? Thanks in advance and let me know, Keith.

I would do a boostleak test to find your vaccum leak. As for the oil in your coolant, there are a few places to check. First, your head gasket. Second, your stock turbo. Third, I know that on my 95 GSX it had an oil/coolant heat exchanger. Its mounted on the oil filter housing and has 2 water lines that come off it. Thats where the coolant cools the oil. It was a different way to cool the oil rather than runnin an external oil cooler set up like they did for the 1990 turbo T/E/L. If the first two have been checked and replaced I would bet its the heat exchanger. Make sure to flush your coolant system after you find the problem.

While I can't be sure since I'm not the one testing it, I would speculate the easiest place to overlook a crack is inside the head. Water in the oil is usually a gasket. Oil in water for reasons I can't explain usually turns out to be the head. That's my input for what it's worth. And let me elaborate. Cracks can be overlooked. You may have to start from scratch with the most obvious and work your way back.

Good Luck

While I can't be sure since I'm not the one testing it, I would speculate the easiest place to overlook a crack is inside the head. Water in the oil is usually a gasket. Oil in water for reasons I can't explain usually turns out to be the head. That's my input for what it's worth. And let me elaborate. Cracks can be overlooked. You may have to start from scratch with the most obvious and work your way back.

Good Luck

Correct, most of the time it's the head and or head gasket... the dealership could just be pulling the head, looking at it and assuming it's fine. Or doing a leakdown test at room temps and only letting it sit for a hsort amount of time before clearing it as "ok". The head needs to be sent to a machine shop, cleaned, magnafluxed and checked to be certain that the mating suface is level and there are no cracks in it. Cracks can be so small at room temp that you can't even see them without the aid of magnafluxing it that will leave a darker colored bunch of particles in the crack making it easier to see. If it's under warranty i'd be all over the dealership to FIX IT RIGHT, as it's their job as mechanics to find and fix the problem. Not to just replace this and that hoping it goes away or your warranty runs out before it's fixed. WArranty companies main objective is to either deny your claim as their responsibility or problem. You have to be stern, explain that your hard earned money is paying for the car and if they want to have repeat business from you or your family that they need to take your problem seriously. Don't be rude or a d!ck, but be stern and let them know that this is not something you're taking lightly.

If all else fails and they won't fix it for you, get the name of the regional mitsubishi service rep in your area and give him a call. It might jsut end up getting you a completely new motor. And i can't stress enough, don't be rude or obnoxious, but don't let them walk on you.

best of luck with gettin her fixed bud! i know how frustrating things like this can be, especially when the dealer has half ass mechanics because they are cutting salaries and hiring backyard "hacks" that will wrok for next to nothing to increase proffit margins.

My mother's Explorer had a similar issue and the ford dealer swore that it was a head gasket and they even replaced it and the problem continued. Well, i pulled the motor apart and had the head magnafluxed and there was a crack from the intake valve all the way over to the exhauist valve that they had "overlooked" when they did the HG replacement. It's sad when the so called "*name brand* ceritfied mechanics" are less informed than some one like myself who usually has to tell them what the problem is because they can't figure it out after having the car for a week of so called "diagnosis". And this is the main reason i wont spend a dime on a warranty for anything other than something to be left completely stock and used soley as a daily driver, or electronics bought from Best Buy.

Well, sorry this got so long, but i tend to get over excited/tempermental when the subject is about so called "ASE ceritfied Master Mechanics"

Thanks alot guys for all the help. I know the head was sent to a machine shop but do not know if it was magnafluxed or not. I will ask the mechanics when I take it BACK in again. The people at the shop are not trying to get by on me (that I know of) and are being really helpful. They keep me informed and actually took me back into the shop to examine my car. They told me that if this didn't fix it then they would try to get me a new motor. I really just want my car fixed if it takes just putting a oil filter mount on it again or a new motor. Well I will tell them to try an oil filter mount again and see if that works before they go with the motor. If you guys have any more opinions let me know and thanks, Keith.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back