The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil bubbling during boost leak test?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tay97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2011
Plaistow, New_Hampshire
I just did my routine blt and noticed air coming out of what I believe is the crankcase vent hose,(it's the one on the left of the valve cover and connects into the intake). I removed the oil cap and continued to do the blt and heard what sounded like oil bubbling... this has me concerned. Can anyone tell me why this would happen?

Your turbo is leaking down into the oil drain try a boost leak test after the turbo and I bet it won't do it anymore.

Did you see oil bubbling did you use soapy water with your blt. Why do you think its oil?

I physically felt air coming out of the crankcase vent hose, so i thought i should remove the oil cap because air is getting in the head or something. So i removed the oil cap and heard like a gurgling noise while the blt was being done. Definitely coming out of the head and no oil leaked anywhere.

Your turbo is leaking down into the oil drain try a boost leak test after the turbo and I bet it won't do it anymore.

How do i perform a blt after the turbo?

Its nothing to worry about. Your likely getting pressure in a cylinder and it's leaking past the oily rings. Why do you think those vents are there from the factory?

Check you pvc valve to make sure its not leaking. Pretty common leak.

Yep, probably the pcv valve... It should let air go through one way and should check it off going the other way. If you have a problem with your pcv valve the best thing you can do is add one of these between the stock pcv valve and your intake manifold. 3/8" Kynar® Standard Check Valves | U.S. Plastic Corp.

It's a rock solid check valve and it's cheap too!:thumb:

After many conversations with an old member "oldman", he and I decided it is best to just not test on the turbo inlet at all in some situations. This appears to be one.

Go ahead and check your PCV and get a check valve etc, but at the end of the day, just start doing your BLT at the inlet of your ic or the inlet of your licp.

After many conversations with an old member "oldman", he and I decided it is best to just not test on the turbo inlet at all in some situations. This appears to be one.

Go ahead and check your PCV and get a check valve etc, but at the end of the day, just start doing your BLT at the inlet of your ic or the inlet of your licp.

Do you have a picture of where you exactly mean? I know where the intercooler is but do you mean the piping going towards the throttle body or away from it?

And also, were you guessing my pcv was leaky because it allowed air into the crankcase, and then was going out the ventilator hose? I'm just trying to make sense of how the pcv comes into this, im honestly not familiar with the pcv's function .

The only way for the oil to be bubbling is air going in the turbo down the oil drain the pcv is not submerged in oil to make it bubble.

Thanks for the link. Is the solution to get a new PCV in addition to this check valve? Or simply add the check valve and be done?

Take your old pcv valve and clean it out with some brake/carb cleaner and reinstall with the addition of the new check valve from usplastic upstream from the oem pcv valve, so that it goes like this from the back of the valve cover....

oem pcv>usplastic check valve>intake manifold

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back