1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

OEM Relay Specs

Posted by turbosax2, Jan 5, 2012

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    I would like to find specifications on the following OEM relays. Can anybody point me towards how to do so? I searched Omron's site and found similar parts, but none with the same part numbers. Is there any way to tell from the relay itself what amperage it is rated for, or any other specifications?

I saw no specifications listed in the FSM. I have already emailed Omron - no response yet.

Untitled-6.jpg

4K  24

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.543 @ 100.000 · 2G DSM
  2. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Still no reply from Omron after several emails. Any input is appreciated.

4K  24

3. Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon Proven Member

Joined Jan 2, 2004
    Paradise, NL, Canada

Street Build 2K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    You know what they say about assuming...

And I'm aware of how they're wired, thanks.

4K  24

5. dwdsm

dwdsm Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2005
    Scenery Hill, Pennsylvania
    Digging this one up from the dead but it's where I'm at since I'm building a harness currently. I have a DC Power Supply that displays amperage draw and was thinking to finally answer this question I could just run a string old headlight bulbs and add to the run until the relay fried to get an answer. Anyone see fault in this method?

1K  19

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.797 @ 118.450 · 2G DSM
  6. wrencher

wrencher Proven Member

Joined Nov 20, 2005
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well why?
    Relays are not a circuit protection device like a fuse or circuit breaker is.
    A relay just has to survive the initial start up amperage of the load and then constant amperage draw required to maintain the circuit operation.
    As long as it can do that and not build heat thru the contacts terminals etc....

You can create a load to melt down a relay (in some fashion) no problem.

The point should be to put a relay in the circuit to it operate reliably.

Maybe I'm missing your point?
    If your adding big fuel pumps or fans why not wire the appropriate aftermarket relays to operate them?

7. dwdsm

dwdsm Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2005
    Scenery Hill, Pennsylvania
    Personally I'm in the middle of an entire car rewire and going down to one fuse box so I just want to know for example if IG1 relay can handle 3 or 4 10 amp circuits? I get your point but I was just looking at it in a worse case scenario that if I set up Relay A to run a possible total of 40 amps of pwr will it be OK doing so? I was under the assumption that they would get hot on approaching their max amperage. I guess it really is possibly a dumb thing to put time into when I could just leave a large safety margin and call it a day. We know they should be able to handle a 30 amp peak from some of the loads required of them from factory. Good call Wrencher...

1K  19

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.797 @ 118.450 · 2G DSM
  8. nh182

nh182 Probationary Member

Joined Nov 6, 2019
    Whitefield, New Hampshire
    I would not go beyond the max fuse size I could find using a particular relay.

Rally Build 310  4

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · automatic · Galant VR-4