The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

OEM overrated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Going to change the timing belt and components. I've been reading a lot in general about these cars and one thing I come across a lot is oem oem oem when pertaining to timing belts. Especially when pertaining to tensioners. One thing I did notice is the very large majority if not all the things ive read are "hear say". Just posts from people who heard from someone else who also hears from someone else that only oem will last. No actual examples from people who have personally had something fail on them. Also most of which seems have originated from years and years back.

Im in no way trying to be cheap on something as important as a timing belt, so please dont start in on that. I merely just want actual proof of failure from non oem tensioners and timing belts.

I have always used Gates belts without them ever failing, and I have read from dsmers that the Gates Kevlar belt is good but the tensioners are, again, only going to last if there oem. The Gates timing belt kit is only 129 bucks with the belt and tensioners. If anyone has experience with non oem timing belt and components failing pre maturly please let me know. Just starting to wonder if oem is overrated?

OEM timing belts are simply made good - however so are the Gates and if you so much as see a crack in the belt that was not caused by you - gates will replace the belt. With the timing belt, you are more than free to go with whatever you want, but the reason most of these names are suggested is because they have been tested and proven.

As for the tensioner - there are adjustable solid tensioners out there, one that I know of you can pick up from STM but I have never personally used one. However~ Why would you trust an offbrand for something as important as your hydrolic timing tensioner? These have been made, tested, and approved for use by the Manufacturer who made them specifically to last. They are VITAL. Beyond vital. We recommend OEM hydrolic tensioners because they work. There is no reason to try to go with something off-brand, not supported by the manufacturer, and untested when what we have is affordable, proven, and works. Neither are 'overrated' in these situations - they are simply proven.

Great post and well put. I guess my only curiousty with it is, if Gates belts are so trusted, tested and proven. Wouldn't one think that there tensioners would be the same? Tested and just as reliable as there belts?

I understand that even though it says "meets or exceeds oem specs" so do Autozones duralast house brand and I wouldn't put that on my go kart. With Gates being such and widely used trusted brand, though, I would assume all there parts are trust worthy.

Anyone use that Gates timing belt kit with success?

Again not trying to be cheap, just start to get bothered by all the hear say. When in reality most havr never personally or actually know of someone who has had one fail pre mature.

Last edited:
While I can't personally say that I've used/tested any other Hyrdolic tensioner offered by another company - Gates is pretty good about their products. That's why they're so recommended when it comes to what they sale. If someone else has input on it (I wasn't aware they even made a tensioner) it'd be interesting to know the results.

If anything - Pick one up and give it a go. Inspect it, install it - see how it holds/reacts to pressure. Scrutinize everything about it. Who knows -you might open the community to a cheaper alternative that's just as functional ; But be prepared as most of us are set in our ways. ;)

Yea im sorry it doesnt come with the hydraulic tensioner. That I would replace with only oem, simply because no one else reputable makes them for a fair price.

I was mostly speaking on the tensioner pulleys. Sorry I didnt clarify.

Would you go climb a mountain using cheap rope and hooks because nobody has actually showed you one that has failed? Not trying to sound like a dick seriously.

You can question it all you want. People are going to say just about the same thing. It's what everyone else uses and it hasn't failed them yet.

If you have a spare motor that you could care less about bending valves then go ahead and get an off brand part. Most of us don't want to be guinea pigs for something like that. Which is why people go with oem.
You can buy an off brand alternator, starter, power steering pump. Those parts don't damage your motor like a crappy tensioner would.

Yea im sorry it doesnt come with the hydraulic tensioner. That I would replace with only oem, simply because no one else reputable makes them for a fair price.

I was mostly speaking on the tensioner pulleys. Sorry I didnt clarify.

I'm using the gates kit on 3 of my 1gs right now. 5k+ miles on most of them and no problems thus far. The pulleys appeared to be equal quality to the OEM ones. Tensioner on the other hand, the off brand come with inferior seals and lower quality cast metals that are more prone to leaking.

I used a topline belt in.my first build and it failed (stripped teeth) under 20k. But I had taken it on, and off several times within that time but, still I dont think that should cause teeth to peel off. Going with a PE,super kevalar II now.

I used a Contitech timing belt (I got the kit with the pulleys and balance shaft belt) and an OEM equivalent hydraulic tensioner for my 2nd change, and never had any problems for 30,000 miles. I'm currently using some off-brand timing belt that has the same part number as the Gates belt, a Dorman hydraulic tensioner, and PCI pulleys from partsdinosaur.com. I've barely drive the car since I put it back together andit only has 10 miles on it, so how it's holding up is rather inconclusive at this point. I only have stock cams and valvesprings, but if I didn't I'd probably go with a kevlar belt.

I put a Duralast timing belt on my mom's Accord a few years back and she hasn't had any problems.

I personally know of a friend who used a Chinese tensioner from eBay on his 420a and, it didn't last 3 weeks. Now his car is back at the shop getting an oem rebuild.

Would you go climb a mountain using cheap rope and hooks because nobody has actually showed you one that has failed? Not trying to sound like a dick seriously.

Your comparing my life with a couple bent valves in a car? Lol bad analogy

So I guess the hydraulic tensioner is really the only big concern and push toward oem. Im going to trust the Gates pulleys and belts as they are Kevlar. Ill order an oem tensioner

Only because Gates doesnt make one ;)

I've used Gates and OEM for the T-belt and i'll NEVER skimp out on the belt again, this summer i had a gates belt fail for no apparent reason with the engine at only about 2k RPM revving down in neutral while coming to a stop, it barely had over 30k miles on it. I"ve had OEM belts comeoff cars i've bought orworked on that were there for 100k miles and were still in decent shape, plainand simple the gates units deteriorate fast (not sure about their blue kevla one though)

Another piece i'ma real stickler on for OEM is the waterpump, because it's a PITA to change, i've had reman units fail left adn right, not to mention that lack of flow and heating ssues they sometimes have.. the one on my car now is an OEM and has been on since the engine build back in 2008 and now has about 42k miles on it with the rest of the engines bottom end (gates belt made meget a new top end his summer :( )

Ball joint/lower control arms ai would go OEM if the stan ship here wasn't so high on them but o'reilly's gives me free ones anytimethey fail so every 2-3 yeras i have to put a little labor in butno biggie

there's some things aftermarkets fine on, others it's just asking for trouble, the only gates belts n my car are the A/C, P/S and Alt. :D

I have to say, I've tried going cheap and it ended up costing me. I REALLY HATE to spend more than necessary so believe me when I say, some things you cannot go cheap on. The only belts I will use other than oem are the Gates HD (blue) and HKS kevlar.
My supposedly equal to OEM aftermarket water pump ran hotter than the OEM one. I can't explain why but it's the truth.
My non-oem tensioner could be pushed with just hand strength after only a few weeks of use. I was shocked how crappy that thing was. The junkyard OEM one I had in a box was far superior to the almost new aftermarket one. .. Lesson learned here. I will only use OEM parts in the timing area from now on.
Same with alternators too. Just replaced my third "lifetime warranty" alternator in 3 weeks from the auto parts store this weekend.

Last edited:
gprix1... get a chevy alt... I went through almost 7-8 of the OEMones in a short time, they hate heat and high revs, the saturn alt can easily be made to fit (i grind on the block/front cover so i don't have to trake so much material off the alt) but since then i've only had one failure and it was because it gotr SOAKED in oil and intermittantly would fash a battery light

Since making the change I've had better volts than ever before, especially at high RPM's.. the pulley is larger than the mitsu one so at low RPM at night volts can get low bu i run my idle at 1000 PRM and it makes up for it

I've been installing and running gates belts for 15 years and haven't had a single failure with them. I've literally installed 100+ of them. I currently have around 40k miles on my sorrento since a gates belt was installed, and about 35k on my girlfriends elantra which is on it's second gates belt. The last one was changed after 120k miles (gates comes stock on kia and hyundai).

gprix1... get a chevy alt... I went through almost 7-8 of the OEMones in a short time, they hate heat and high revs, the saturn alt can easily be made to fit <snip>...

I am really tempted at this point to give it a try.
It's interesting you mention not only heat but also rev's killing them. The last alternator seemed fine until I ran some sustained 5k+ rpms doing some SD map calibration adjustments and it was then that it puked on me.
The only reason I didn't do the GM was the few posts from those who couldn't seem to get it to work and I didn't want to risk having any hassles. Your testament though to the Chevy option is giving my new faith and I will try it if (when) this new one ends up dying.

I have personally used aftermarket timing components and had pulleys and belts fail (pulleys seized up, and timing belt lost teeth) in the past, it's just not worth it to have to do the work twice now. The only parts i use on my personal car are oem, and it's also why we only use oem parts here at the shop.

Just going to throw this in here - I asked a random DSM owner/friend of mine three questions centered around going OEM or Aftermarket on very commonly replaced parts.

Here's the short test

Me:
1 : Throw out bearing - Aftermarket or OEM?

Them:
OEM

Me:
2 : Timing Belt Tensioner ?

Them:
OEM.

Me:
3 : Why?

Them:
Why OEM?

Me:
Yup. As in the actual reason you would pick it. Not " Because it's right."

Them:
Because its been proven to be durable, reliable, and a good part vs other aftermarket options.

They have not seen this thread and gave no bias answer beyond what they prefer. It's simply proven - and in the automotive world Proven is King.

Gates makes a Timing Hydraulic Tensioner: #T43215. I will test it for you guys and let you know what happens. My head was rebuilt last year cause the OEM tensioner failed and the belt jumped timing and because there was a recall on the part the work was done under warranty; at least that is what my receipt papers from the dealer tells me.

I will post back in a few weeks, or sooner if it fails.

Sorry for the edit.

The tensioner also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

I am curious, does any know who actually produces the OEM Mitsubishi parts for our cars currently? I saw that extremepsi sells Geunine OEM Mitsubishi belts; and I just recently inspected my broken timing belt and it had MOPAR printed all over it.

I want to know who is actually producing the OEM parts so that if Mitsubishi is truly only producing OEM I will buy Mitsubishi brand parts, but if Mitsubishi is just out sourcing parts production to Gates, then I will buy their parts.

Last edited:
Gates makes a Timing Hydraulic Tensioner: #T43215. I will test it for you guys and let you know what happens. My head was rebuilt last year cause the OEM tensioner failed and the belt jumped timing and because there was a recall on the part the work was done under warranty; at least that is what my receipt papers from the dealer tells me.

I will post back in a few weeks, or sooner if it fails.

Sorry for the edit.

The tensioner also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

I am curious, does any know who actually produces the OEM Mitsubishi parts for our cars currently? I saw that extremepsi sells Geunine OEM Mitsubishi belts; and I just recently inspected my broken timing belt and it had MOPAR printed all over it.

I want to know who is actually producing the OEM parts so that if Mitsubishi is truly only producing OEM I will buy Mitsubishi brand parts, but if Mitsubishi is just out sourcing parts production to Gates, then I will buy their parts.

Hey!

I wanted to give you guys an update on the gates Auto Tensioner. Product has failed after 0.5 miles!!!:D YEP 0.5 miles!!

My belt broke and to see if any valves were bent I ordered a gates timing kit for the belt. This auto tensioner was not suppose to be installed, but found its way on there, by other hands. I took the car around the block and parked it. When I finally tore everything down to the cylinder head, I took the auto tensioner off and inspected. Unit is leaking and rusting. The part failed just being on the car LOL

It is made in China; the other components of the timing kit are Made in the USA. It is a true knock off, that does not hold up. They even machined the 533 number on the side of it.

Just wanted to let you guys know. I can not give a review on the timing belt pulleys and belts. I will let you guys know when I do the belt on my 93 NT.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back