The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

obx lsd [Merged 5-7] limited slip phantom grip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mine is up on the lift getting a neon tranny
obx lsd and stage 2 axles from the driveshaft shop right now

i will post when it is done

i know this post is kinda old but it fits so here goes

i took one for the team here i guess.

i got the obx for the 420a

it fit in great no problems

the axles would not go into the unit once the tranny was back in

the passengers axle was no problem

the drivers would not slide all the way in

the hole is not deep enough

i payed 600 bucks to take my already 450 dollar LSD and incorporate it into a neon tranny

(i went ahead and did a complete rebuild of the tranny not just swap the bellhousing)

and now i have to take it all back apart again

from talking to the company i bought it from on ebay (i will pm anyone the name if they want to know) i am not getting my money back

so basically this thing doesnt evenmake a good paperweight

just so everyone knows

the install was a complete disaster

the unit went into the tranny fine but the axles would not go into the diff once the tranny was back into the car

i am not a technical guy so i will try to explain the best i can

the passenger axle went in and locked no problem

the drivers axle would not slide all the way in

the hole in the diff was not deep enough

if anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong id love to hear it before i have this thing torn out and burned

You just can't get good prison labor anymore. I'm still sorry for your loss.

[edit: to avoid some repeated unpleasantness, please note that when I write "prison labor" I really mean "Asians in Maoist pajamas working in an EU factory"]

- Jtoby

thats ok at first i was going to just go with a phantom grip but thought what the hell in for an inch in for a mile so hello quaife

I found this on ebay, and yeahh i know i will get a lots of "You get what you paid for" but anyone has one of these? I will be buying a shep tranmsision for this summer and i had to choose between a insert LSD or a quaife LSD, man is hard to pay $1100 for a quaife, so i think this is a happy medium. At least its got to be better than a LSD insert?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-HELICAL-LSD-DIFFERENTIAL-95-99-ECLIPSE-TALON-GST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQihZ016QQitemZ260087589211QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I think $425 is good for a try.
what you think?

well i was reading on other post and i hate when this happens, some say man it works, ive seen hondas with 600 hp runiing 10's with this and other says, no problmes on my GSt, other people says it dosnt fit my drivers axle, and that its a copy from the quaife one.

Unless OBX revised their lsd, these were found to not fit properly if i recall correctly. Search for 'obx lsd' and you should find a thread talking about it.

I would like someone who has actually used this in their 2G GST to chime in.

All I have to say is that replacing my stock open front and center diffs with Quaife has been worth *every* penny! I'm tempted to go do the rear one too, but since it's still working OK I'm trying to resist it (I only did the front & center because the trans had to be shipped out for rebuild anyways, might as well do it while it's open! (stupid 5 cent clip broke, trans still shifted perfect at 90k miles, made me sick to have to send it out for such a stupid little thing))!

Well i was bored recently and did some research on the obx lsd. I stumbled onto the neon forums which quite a few members seem to be running the lsd with great success.
They have taken apart the lsd and found that the bellevilles (spring washers) were cracked on a arrival or would crack soon after. So all they do is replace the washers, some people also replaced the bolts which hold the lsd together.
There are people on the forums selling new better washers for about 15$
There is a member on the forum with 18k miles on his obx

They work, but they have minor issues.

Issues are:
Case bolts sometimes arent torqued down all the way.
Snap ring on axle needs to be removed OR bevel the edges inside the diff to allow use of snap rings (recommended)
Possible broken spring washers (1-2 known cases) replacements are avail from a guy here on the org
And 1 guy didnt ahve the axle splines machined into his.. LOL

But I do have one in my autoX car, soo to be boosted car. It works good.

Ryan

It looks interesting, i will probably buy one when i do my rebuild.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=267937&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=264016&highlight=obx+washers

I know a few 420A's with a AMC lsd and they say it is EXACTLY like a quaife. I called the guy and I asked if it were the same, he said "We used the exact same schematic." and they have a lifetime warantee on it.

The OBX is an Asian rip-off of the Quaife, so, of course, they look the same. The first problem was they copied the wrong speedo gear. But even after they corrected this, I would (a) not trust OBX to use decent metal and (b) never support a company that steals the designs of others.

- Jtoby

I was one of the first people to buy the OBX LSD for the GST and I will tell you that it is a big piece of crap, I sent my transmission out to John Shepherd to get rebuilt along with the OBX LSD, I received a call shortly after from John telling me that the LSD did not fit in the casing. I ended up sending it back to the company that sold it to me and getting a Kar King LSD for $750, I didnt have enough money to get a quaife and John Shepherd had been using these LSD's in some of his transmission with no problems so I got one and have not had any problems with it to this day.

Dont waste your time with the OBX LSD, you will regret it later when you have to take your tranny apart again because there is something wrong with it, costing you more than if you actually bought the quaife or similar in the first place.

Ok i'm not saying that this thing is good but it seems that both people that said it didn't work were wroking with special situations. The one guy bought it and was trying to put a neon trand and shafts into a eclipse which should be the same but I guarentee there are small diffrences that would cause fittment problems and the other guy has a gst so I don't see how that's really compareable as they have diffrent transmissions also. Has anyone bought one for a 420 with stock stuff and had it work or not work. Because to me it seems like threw my readings everyone that has what it was meant for likes it.

Bringing this thread back. So did anyone try the aboved link? Bc I also read on the neon forum that they use OBX just replacing the washers and bolts with great success.

I ordered the obx lsd earlier this year.I was told it was a new design and was gauranteed that it would fit. Needless to say it did not fit and i had to send back. Buy a kaaz lsd, they are a little cheaper than the quaife.

So has anyone successfully installed a OBX lsd in their 2g GST transmission?
It says on the obx site that the lsd will only fit FWD 95-99 transmissions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back